2023 Stool Bed

I took an apple tree down standing on M26. That was maybe ten years ago. I still mow over shoots coming up from severed roots in that spot.

Put some of my failed grafts into the ground from last year. I didnā€™t get a chance but will cut the trunk to a few inches above ground level. Should I expect to see some growth this year coming from the roots?

You should first let them grow for a full season in the ground and then cut them to encourage new shoots next year. Their roots are not yet big enough to stool properly.

1 Like

Thereā€™s are from rootstock I tried to graft onto in 2022. They all failed so their root system isnā€™t bad. However they have been potted up until today.

1 Like

I have not stooled apples, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but if those trees were all already topped a year ago (when turned into grafting rootstock), the roots probably expended a good bit of stored energy regrowing the tops last season. I would let the tree expand and feed the roots for another season before asking for it to repeat that task.

2 Likes

Gonna let a few grow out this year and cut some down to ground. Trial and error and see what the results are

2 Likes