A Mess of Muddled Mulberries

You definitely have all sorts of hybridization in Madison County. I’ve not studied Rockcastle so much. London and Somerset have some hybridization. Good luck.

1 Like

That’s a good start…Sawyer in McCreary County. But, I would say around Cumberland Falls or along the road that cuts from there to Whitley City would be good odds of getting pure m.rubra.
Also along Hwy. 92 from Pine Knot/Stearns over to Great Meadow area and the South Fork of the Cumberland coming up out of Tennessee to Burnside.

I could also offer cuttings from my mulberries…but since they haven’t fruited, I’m like maybe 80% sure they are the native and not crossed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’m new to this forum. Is there any way to send a DM? could you e-mail me?

Thanks for the reply, I’m new to this forum. Is there any way to send a DM? could you e-mail me?

I have only been to KY looking for some other plants and happened to notice the one at Sawyer. I did not see any others, but I wasn’t specifically looking either.

Steve,
I’ll be glad to send scions of the local I have grafted here. I know I can find others easily, but at this point, can’t say which are male, which are female. There’s one on the farm here (if I can locate it again) that I first noticed in fruit, a number of years ago, but the next time I saw it, it had ‘transgendered’ to all male flowers.

I had one very good M.rubra selection I made from east-central AL that was not compatible with M.alba understock… I grafted it several times, and never got it to live longer than a year or two - and a fellow grower in NJ had the same experience with it…just would not persist on M.alba. So… M.rubra &/or hybrid rootstocks may be your best bet.

1 Like

If you can send me an e-mail. I’ll send you info about where to send scion wood.

1 Like

Click on someone’s name, click message, send a private/direct message.

1 Like

for some reason I don’t see that as an option.

Probably why… I believe some things are not immediately available.