A musing about bulbs

Getting ready to plant some bulbs.

One thing I’ve always wondered about. The recommended planting depth for most larger bulbs essentially means that the entire root system is growing in, well, crappy subsoil, instead of amended or naturally richer topsoil.

Daffodils at 6 - 8" deep are growing not in my fairly decent topsoil, but in my acidic (<5.0 pH, sandy, nutrient poor, rocky subsoil. That seems to make little sense to me.

True they would probably thrive in better soil but the depth is due to the need for stability, too close to the surface and the bulbs will fall over in flower. Daffodils can handle poor soil, falling over is the bigger concern imo.

2 Likes

You’ve got to plant them deep as most bulbs naturally want drier conditions, thrive in colder climates and are safer deeply planted from squirrels…

The old recommendation was to plant bulbs with bone meal. Anyone still do that? I do cover the newly planted bulbs with 1-2 inches of crushed egg shells (seems to deter the squirrels a little).

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone have luck with getting crown imperials to reliably perennialize? Mine return the year after planting and then I don’t see them again. I do plant the bulbs on their side as I know most sources claim that rotting is an issue with them.

Scott

Squirrels and deer and moles won’t mess with daffodils…and good soil or not seems not to matter greatly…
tulips is another story.