A non breachable gate

I’m trying to think of some ideas for a more permanent, more effective gate around my orchard and vegetable garden. I face pressure both from large, antlered creatures, as well as small creatures that can chew and dig. Deer and groundhog, primarily.

So I have ideas for the fence itself (L shaped hardware cloth at the bottom to “seal” the underside of the gate.

Problem is the gate. If I build a frame around the gate, that would allow me to also put an L-shaped piece of hardware cloth at the bottom of that frame, then I have a “hump” that would be difficult to drive the tractor and other equipment over.

But if I don’t, I can’t think of any way to “seal” the bottom, so critters can’t squeeze their way under it. Any ideas?

Pictures of the area would help; all I can visualize is my own little garden gate problem project.

When I had lambs that would sneak under my pipe/farm gates I would put up a 2x12" board up at the bottom. You can “hang” it by creating an “U” shaped bracket on the end posts that the board can be lifted out of (I had some metal ones made out of bent up deck hangers and some wood ones made out of scrap - nothing fancy). You just lift it off when you need to get the tractor in. You might be able to fasten your “L” shaped hardware cloth to the board to prevent digging.

I hope that made sense, I’m not the best at explaining things sometimes. It worked for our escape artist lambs.

2 Likes

Could you lay fencing or hardware cloth under the gate and secure it with landscape staples ?

1 Like