A. plum as a peach or cherry rootstock?

I have a Nadia tree. Bought it as a donor. I plan to graft it as much as possible and have several grafts that have already taken. Will be removing it later next year. Only have room for just so many trees. Have been"Gorilla Grafting" lots of trees on public land that is unsupervised and full of invasive species. It’s legal to remove them them. Favorite thing to do is convert invasive Bradford Pear to domestic pear trees. Kids seem to be more aware than adults. They find them and enjoy them. Thinking about doing the same to ornamental crabapples. Our whole country is so ignorant about utilizing public spaces for useful purposes.

3 Likes

I’m guilty…my fav graft…edible pears on Bradfords…give those Bradfords a sense of purpose

4 Likes

Id like to experiment grafting something has cherry heritage such as Nadia to my plum tree. Very interested in seeing your result too

My experience is that you want to start with a rootstock that’s a larger tree than any Scion you graft onto it. I bought a Black Tartarian Cherry. It’s the largest of all the stone fruits and it’s the longest living. So far I have 12 varieties on it and have plans to add 20 more this year. The smallest is the apricot, then Apriums , peaches, nectarineare, plucots, plums, cherry/plum,
then cherries being the largest.

Anyone know of life span issues when using mustang as a rootstock? In reading about it, it seems to have the relative short life span associated with cherry plums. Does using it as a rootstock with Scions grafted in have any bearing on it’s lifespan?

Mustang looks like a good option for my area (Alaska) but it’ll Probably take 4-5 years to get established, and that would only leave 15 or so to enjoy before starting over again.

I would love to know myself. I have a Black Ice plum on Mustang, but I can not find anyone selling it. I am moving the tree next month, so I am hoping I can get a root cutting or two to throw up a sucker. It has more vigor than Marianna 2624 and St Julien. Way more. I am not sure it has been around long enough to determine the lifespan.

I have grafted successfully nectarines and peaches on plum rootstock and had fruits on that trees.
This tree is peach with fruits grafted on plum rootstock with fruits in year 2020.

7 Likes

I’ve had very good success germinating P.americana seeds. I put the seeds in 45 cell tree trays in the fall and leave them covered outside all winter ( make sure they’re properly covered or the damn squirrels will take them all) in the spring germination is around 80% and by August many of them are big enough to take a t- bud.

4 Likes

P.americana continues to impress me as a rootstock

1 Like

Any compatibility issues with Japanese plums, peaches or Apricots? I’m thinking of grafting some of each, but don’t want to waste my time if it won’t work out in the longer term.

2 Likes

@zendog

There no compatability issues with Japanese plums on p.americana but I cannot give you personal advice on apricots or others long term. The rootstocks graft so easily almost anything would take. See above as others say they have had success long term such as @misoo83 with peaches and nectarines.

2 Likes

Mesabi sweet cherry failed on Nadia last season as did Count Althans Gage plum. Adara interstem did succeed on Nadia though I did not graft anything onto the Adara because I harvested it for scionwood.

Nadia may or may not be an actual cherry-plum hybrid. I know of a professional plum breeder who spent a career failing to cross cherries with plums.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Greetings and welcome back @BlossomBreeder

Nadia is Asian plum X cherry hybrid not a cherry-plum Prunus cerasifera like Adara, It took the breeders a scant 200 attempts to get 3 crosses. lucky bastards. Cherry-plum are the x2 progenitors of the x6 European plums. There bark is more similar in appearance to cherry’s then other plums, but they are distinctly not closely related to cherries. Except Adara shows the least graft incompatibly. Chery x cherry-plum might be a better avenue to bridge the species gap.

1 Like

Hi there @Beeman.

Do you have any updates on your long term success with grafting onto Nadia, or grafting Nadia onto other trees.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

for peach, plum rootstock works.