A quick question about the power cord of an water garden pump outdoor power cord

I have a rarely used garden pump showing below, just found out the power cord is damaged during storage. Can I use outdoor connector to reconnect it, Is it safe? Did I miss anything? Are there other ways to fix this? I would like to be able to use it again. It will be a shame to throw it away.

This part of cord will be exposed to the elements but never be submerged in water.

The pump:

The damaged power cord:

Outdoor connector I am thinking:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DryConn-Aqua-Orange-6-Pack-Aqua-Wire-Connectors/3377354?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--elc--ggl--LIA_ELC_106_Tools-Wire-Connectors--3377354--local--0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W8TO7FGEh3cxnCflQtiI9YoG&gclid=Cj0KCQjwspKUBhCvARIsAB2IYuv6kKXUJ8EihklGx7_g5PSMIFAhBd8Phk9BRaH_sAE3b5zjAA0ywvgaAkZsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

There will be many answers to this here is one way shown below. It is a great method but its really one part of one way and incomplete.

This video below is relevant to you as you need your connectors waterproof. This is the method I would use.

This happened to us yesterday. The plug for our electric fence controller corroded in the weather then overheated, melted, and shorted. It was actively on fire. By luck, my wife was standing not far away when it happened and unplugged the other end. Never tripped the 20A breaker.

Keep your outdoor plug connections dry.

1 Like

Is the insulator (black rubber cover) the only that got damaged?

Are the copper wires exposed?

@Ruben

Unfortunately, the copper wires are exposed.

@clarkinks thanks for the videos! I learned quite a few things from them.

@JVD Your left over plug looks scary! I am glad no one is hurt and no real damage. You guys are lucky and your wife deserve a Medal!:grinning:

2 Likes

Video #1 is OK, assuming the twisted assembly will be taped over. No tools required.

But it is a bad example for 120 volt AC devices where you would never normally connect a black and white wire together, these colors have specific functions for 120vac.

3 Likes

Easiest answer if you don’t need the full length, cut it there and put a new plug on.

If that’s not long enough, you may need some kind of waterproof/submarine joint. Some use a resin inside that hardens.

If you do the join yourself, loose connections are the enemy, and cause fires like above - where it doesn’t cause a short that would trip the fuse, but the increased resistance through the loose connection causes heat enough to burn. Twisting wires like the video above isn’t reliably good enough.

2 Likes