About to be a dead sumb*tch

Traps are set. They’ve been there since yesterday around 7 o’clock, so far nothing yet. One is near the Burrow entrance, and one is near the garden entrance. By “entrance” I mean the place the groundhog found his way in.

1 Like

There used to be lettuce and broccoli here. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

He walked right past the trap, got into the garden and ate all the stuff.

We had the trap out almost a week before he wandered into it, we got him on Tuesday. Bean leaves, beet greens, and corn cobs went in there. Make sure you check the traps somewhat frequently, these things can die of heat stroke in there if it’s hot. Best to either relocate it or put it down yourself, I can’t imagine heat stroke being a good way to go.

1 Like

The last time I trapped one it must have went in after I left for work and by the time I got home it was nearly dead. I think it tried to tear out of the trap all day. The truth is that live traps may not be a lot more humane than a leg hold in some instances. If you want to have gardens and fruit it may necessary.

I had a possum who was eating unripe figs, pawpaws and breaking branches.

I convinced him with quickly moving metal that it was time to move onto a better place.

He did stink in the trash, though.

Scott

For me, Groundhogs are the hardest rodent to trap. They are very skittish. If they smell something off in the trap, they won’t go in. The ones that are easier to catch are juvenile, less experienced.

I make sure I clean and rinse my trap thoroughly before I set it out again.

Smells don’t keep it out of the garden…

Smell of their food is different from smell of their friends or other animals that were trapped previously. A friend of mine suggested I clean a trap before set it out for groundhogs. I followed her advice and it seemed to be more affective. Or I have groundhogs that have more discernable sense of smell.

For squirrels, they don’t care. No need to clean a trap. As long as I put peanut butter and sunflower seeds on top, they go for it.

2 Likes

It took me a while to catch my ground hog ,I just kept putting fresh bait in until I finally got it

6 Likes

The heat is helping the sweet potatoes recover quickly.

1 Like

Today I found a newly dug woodchuck hole. The first woodchuck is deceased, we didn’t relocate him. Well, he was relocated to the transfer station. Looks like a family moved in.

After just a few days, the patch looks normal again, except a few bare leaf stems right in the center.

1 Like

I’m dealing with a groundhog under my porch. So far it hasn’t gone into the trap. I’ve been using peanut butter and peaches, maybe its time to try some corn and carrots…

Has anyone tried fox urine to get them to move out? I heard that worked for some folks with groundhogs under the porch or shed.

We caught the wrong one. My wife saw a larger one today, and there were holes retorn in the netting again, with more plants eaten.

BG1977, Groundhogs tend to live in groups at this time of year. There will usually be between 2 and 5 in a hole. Also, when you trap one out, another may move in the next day. Constant vigilance is required to wipe them out.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith

Last year I trapped 2 using cut up apples.

Mike

Something left tracks and disturbance in my vegetable garden - tracks SURE looked like groundhog

Trapped another one. This one was dead in the trap by the time I found it. Big fat one.

2 Likes

We must have done something wrong. Something set off the trap, then escaped. Maybe he was able to run out before it closed all the way? The woodchuck(s) keep digging. The pile of dirt near one of their holes has gotten noticeably bigger.