About to make some neighbors unhappy

I say cut em’ down. Pshaw on big trees and property values. Make it your own property, not what you think some future buyer will want. Buyers are as varied as jelly beans. Some want this, some that. As long as your yard isn’t a desert, many buyers will see the potential of the property with some planting space, and envision what they can plant.

Besides, you’ve already mentioned you plan on being in the house a long time, which suggests you aren’t too worried about immediate property values.

All this talk about big trees and property values repulses me. It’s suburban shallow speak from my perspective. It’s the equivalent of an “envious manicured lawn” I hear on local commercials. If that’s a major goal in my life, then put me in the grave already.

On top of that, big trees are expensive pets for suburbanites, imo. They are expensive to have pruned, and even more when they get old and have to be removed. Worse they risk a lot of damage when they fall on houses or fences. Not to mention all time raking and removing the leaves every year.

If you want some big trees back there, grow some apple trees on standard rootstocks and enjoy the fruit.

Fill in your yard with nicely maintained fruit trees and your neighbors will eventually love your yard for the novelty.

15 Likes

The deciduous (crepe myrtles) are about 15 feet behind the junipers in the neighbor’s yard. I’m not sure if they’ll always be taller.

If it were me, I would leave the trees for another year or two while your fruit trees grow a bit. That would also give you more time to think about such a large change. It would also give the neighbors time to get to know you better, too. Maybe even take out the trees little by little when you do so it isn’t such a shock all at once. That can apply to non gardening spouses, too.

4 Likes

Its your property you paid for it do what you want. Everyone loves the big trees on your property but where is theirs? I would be nice and tell them any tree someone wants pulled and pays for in x time is their tree for free. No charge at all but noone will take the offer. I once saw 2 neigbors get in a fight over trees both went bankrupt and lost their properties and their lawyers received over $100,000 each. Both were in the belief they were right. My philosphy is to try to get along with people living next to you. Im not suggesting you keep the trees but rather suggest they do if they want them. If they say it makes no sense its to expensive, they dont have the room and other excuses say to bad i know you liked them.

4 Likes

I agree with your philosophy. My wife and I purchased a farm and there were 20 or so 10-15 ft tall burr oaks scattered about in the prime orchard area. I’ve planted around and near to them, and will remove them only after my trees get larger and if they turn out to be a good producing heartnut or chestnut. If the seedling trees planted near the burr oak turns out to be inferior, it will be cut out to allow the oak to grow. If the seedlings turn out to be superior, then the oak goes.

1 Like

Ive got no problem removing healthy trees to make room for something better, or to just allow more sun to reach the ground. So many houses I see when driving around town have huge trees basically destroying their yards that should be removed but never are. Probably the most common around here are 40-50 year old blue spruce… Some neightborhoods are loaded with them. Beautiful trees in the correct setting, but absolute monsters in small yards.

3 Likes

Suburbanites are not the only ones who have some concern about resale value of their homes. You are repulsed?

I find his view repulsive in the photo and the evergreens a great improvement over generic condos. I imagine that most suburbanites would find a view of such a development normal. I live outside of suburbia partially to fill my eyes with what God has made and not men.

However, one should obviously follow the beat of their own drummer and I am not “repulsed” by any beat that makes the subject happy. No one seems to be suggesting that the trees remain to placate the neighbors, but the poster apparently was interested in opinions about the decision to remove the trees. He’s probably received more than he bargained for.

The folks I work for consider it a luxury and pay a great deal to avoid seeing the homes of their neighbors. Suburbia seems quite the opposite, that people enjoy being surrounded by homes they can see filled with neighbors they consider friends and allies. Security in numbers, I suppose. Of course, it is also an efficient way of building single family homes.

My father moved us from suburbia when I was 11, but even the suburban home was intentionally the last row and had undeveloped desert behind it where we did much of our playing. He probably offended our neighbors by planting native cactus in the front yard instead of the lawns all our neighbors had in that Scottsdale Ariz. location.

Incidentally, removing those trees will likely be more work than the next 20 years of maintenance. The leaves can be handled with a mulching mower. The only effort my forest trees have required in 25 years is when I decide to remove them. That and a couple hours of raking in the spring. I find the wind blows most of the leaves off the lawn and they only build up in a few spots that I manage with a quick spring clean up.

My neighbors can’t see most of my property, so I needn’t worry much about their opinions, although they are big fans of the fruit I bring them.

This is an interesting topic. I’m about to clear a few trees for my new orchard and if not for my plans for fruit trees I would not cut them. With that said I try to get along with my neighbors but the trees are on your property and my opinion is that you should cut them. You paid for the area and your the one that should decide what is the best use of the property.

1 Like

From my perspective, that looks like an enormous yard. Hope you have fun with it!

Other people have done a nice job of laying out some pros and cons. It sounds like you have previous experience and know what you want to do, but I thought I’d share my experience starting to grow fruit in a small in-town yard (corner lot, 90’ EW x 70’ NS, several large city street trees, neighbors’ houses within 50’ of the property line in all four directions).

When we moved into our house about seven years ago, there were about three dozen yew bushes, a “burning bush” euonymus, an azalea, two holly bushes, a young Norway maple, and three large street trees (two sugar maples and an older Norway maple).

My wife hated (hated!) the Norway maple, so the first thing we did was put out a hit on that, with my dad serving as the “professional” (he was a tree trimmer in his youth). The tree was maybe possibly also a city street tree, but nobody ever said anything.

My wife also hated the yews with a passion, so the next thing I did was dig them out (by hand, which was pretty good exercise and kind of fun in a weird way). Several neighbors expressed their approval of this move, and as a matter of fact, the neighbors whose yard was screened by one line of yews were particularly encouraging. (But then they built a fence along the same property line a couple of years later, so maybe they had second thoughts?)

I wasn’t a fan of the euonymus bush, so that came out the next year. (At this point, one of the neighbors across the way said, kiddingly, “Looks like you’re just tearing everything out!”)

My wife liked the idea of growing (a) things that had flowers and (b) things you could eat. (Her parents immigrated from China, her family ran a restaurant, and her father, who is ninety, still grows a significant vegetable garden, so “there should be a practical and preferably edible purpose” was a big thing for her.)

And so, with virtually zero gardening experience, I embarked on growing fruit. Looking into things a bit, I stumbled across some pictures of espaliered apple trees. Showed them to my wife, she said, “We should do that,” and now I’m in the process of growing about sixty (?!?) apple and pear trees in the form of a couple of Belgian fences, one in a row along a south-facing street and another in a L along the north and east property lines. Also added a peach tree, an Aronia “brilliantissima”, and three Nanking cherries, and we’ll see what else.

At this point, the espaliers are still growing in, and the only thing I’ve actually eaten fruit from is the aronia (which I kind of like the taste of, actually). But even though the trees are still going through their young-and-somewhat-straggly stage, the Belgian fences have become quite the attraction/curiosity/conversation piece. Like, people who are driving by actually stop and stare at them. A number of people have asked me what they are, and a few people have asked how they could do that, too.

So, in my short experience, it seems like it’s possible to grow fruit trees in town and have them be a positive part of the landscape, just from an aesthetic/neighborly perspective.

That being said, one question that might come up is whether you are going to spray your trees. I’m keeping things absolutely as minimal as possible in that regard, because like I said, I have neighbors’ houses literally twenty feet from where I’m growing my trees, and even if I felt assured that it were safe, I don’t feel like it would be neighborly to spray anything ending in -cide (and I suspect that my neighbors would agree).

In the OP’s situation, if he does plan to spray, this might be a reason to keep the evergreen belt, because even neighbors who might be ok with having the evergreens replaced by fruit trees might not be ok with spraying along their property line. (And yes, I know that the neighbors may be putting God knows what on their lawns, but life ain’t necessarily fair.) With this in mind, I see a lot of merit in @disc4tw’s suggestion.

Again, hope you have fun with the trees, and enjoy your new home!

6 Likes

My comments were intended in the context of the original posters questions/comments, mostly.

As I indicated in my post, I wasn’t suggesting he merely cut down the trees and leave grass. I suggested he plant apples on standard rootstocks for a barrier. Pears on full vigor rootstocks would be another option. God made those too.

The OP has a yard about the size of mine. My backyard is one acre. My yard is so full of fruit trees, I can’t see much of the neighbor’s houses in the summer. It feels like a jungle walking in my backyard in summer. Here’s about the only pics I could find quickly of my backyard. They are old pics. Of course in the winter I can see more of the houses but I don’t spend a lot of time gazing out windows in the winter time. When I do, my focus is generally on my fruit trees.

I suppose everyone has opinions based on their own experiences. Mine is that I don’t like the large trees of my neighbors (although they of course have every right to grow them) because they compete with my fruit trees, in my backyard, for shade. If I have the choice, I’m damn sure not going to grow shade trees on my own property to compete with my backyard fruit trees. As an aside, I actually do grow some shade trees on my home property because I have a spouse who is not as enthusiastic a fruit grower, so compromise rules the day for a life partner.

The discussion about property values is repulsing to me in the context of suburban speak where everyone is expected to have a finely manicured Better Homes and Gardens lawn. I’ve talked or read about so many suburbanites whose main focus for anything they do to their house/lawn is about property values. Quality of life and the benefits of growing some of one’s own fresh food transcend some immediate affect on property value, imo.

Of course for folks who love doing lawn work and get great satisfaction of having a lawn look like a carpet, I say go for it. It’s just not my thing.

Regarding time involved in raking/cleaning up deciduous tree leaves, I doubt you would get away with your approach of letting the wind blow them away in many suburban or urban neighborhoods, without some some ill feelings from neighbors. Certainly more in an HOA situation.

4 Likes

If the evergreens were on the north side of the lot, I’d keep them.

But the sun from the west is necessary for the fruit. Best to cut them when they’re still small enough to make the job easy.

One other thought I have on the shade trees. I probably should have advocated for edible nut trees as shade trees. I planted two pecan trees and one shagbark hickory where my home is. I planted a couple pecan trees at the farm orchard. The problem with most nut trees is that they grow slowly for about the first 5 years.

2 Likes

He’s probably received more than he bargained for.

Haha that’s true. I do appreciate the opinions for sure, they have helped my wife and I discuss whether we actually want to proceed. I think it still makes sense in my case for reasons I’ve stated in responses.

@alan you bring up some good points for sure. I removed one stump (had to have been 150-200lbs) from the ground by hand yesterday and I’m already considering my life choices. I think I’ll end up burning the rest (I’ve had good success with this in the past) or renting a stump grinder.

This neighborhood is comprised of mostly young families with multiple children, which is great for us, and oddly enough the neighbors chose to leave the fences out so that the kids would have more room to run.

Also, the way the land is sloped, no matter what trees I put up, about 8 neighbors will still be able to see into our back yard. If it were possible to find a place where you could have neighborhood amenities, large plots of land, good schools, a good drive to work, And not be able to see any neighbors or have them see you, I would love that. But that has to be incredibly rare. Luckily, this neighborhood has 4 of those 5.

5 Likes

I would keep the evergreens and plant the trees further in. It would not be much further in since those evergreens are right along the border. They make great windbreaks, noise barriers, and they also make great blocks for neighbors. I have a new plat going right against the back of my property where their used to be a horse farm. No neighbors to be nosey before yet I have a feeling there will be nosey neighbors now. I looked at what evergreen options and tree options were available and the amount I would need is expen$$$$$ive.
So, IMHO, leave the evergreens.

2 Likes

Neighborhoods with nearby kids to play with are a very positive thing for them and you. That was something I missed a great deal when we moved out of suburbia. On summer nights scores of us would go out into the street and play games like capture the flag- so exciting!. 4 of the five of my siblings were born pretty close together so we did have each other, but peers are important in ways siblings don’t quite fill- and visa-versa.

However, around the first day of school I walked the 2 miles home and still remember the thrill of seeing two mule deer run out of some trees as I was on my way. My favorite first friend there blew my mind one day when we were standing after school in the playground and he whistled. A few moments later a sparrow hawk landed on his arm- it had been tamed and then released and retained its comfort with people. The same dude had a pet great horned owl at home. I don’t know if that one was ever released.

A more rural neighborhood has its charms too.

2 Likes

Pecans seem to me to stunt other fruit trees. I used to think it was alleopathy, but now my theory is their very competitive roots. Black strands that create a real tight network around nearby fruit trees. It’s been especially a problem with peaches. I dig out a wide area freeing it from roots and the trees are vigorous for a couple of years, then runt out and die.

This is based on experience at only one site where trees received no supplementary irrigation. I managed the orchard there for about 23 years until the owner passed. Not a lot of pecan trees around here- only a couple of northern varieties can survive.

Maybe a southern grower could provide an opinion based on a wider range of experience on this.

Incidentally, I too am not enamored of Scottish putting greens as a landscape ideal. Before Edible Landscaping in VA existed I called my own young company that and preached converting lawns into nourishing landscapes. Then I advertised establishing wildlife feeding stations, native mini-prairies, and organic orchards. Orchards were the part of the advertisement people responded to and I disappointed a few customers as a result of my inability to deliver organic fruit. Surround had to be invented first.

4 Likes

If that was my property, I would either leave the large evergreens or thin them. I wouldn’t cut down all of them. I like to NOT see my neighbors houses so much.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I too think pecans are likely stunt fruit trees. I have my pecans and shagbark hickory away from my fruit trees. I think any shade tree is going to interfere with most fruit trees, except fruit trees like pawpaw, etc., but any of the Juglandaceae family are probably worse.

Around here there are a lot of idiots who plant redwood trees 6-8 feet from houses and power lines. I also see a lot of shallow root trees destroying driveways, sidewalks, and parking lots.
Perhaps you can compromise by planting nut pines in their place? At least it would not be a waste of yard space.

But pines. What a great idea! I have a few of those planted, but they grow rather slowly, so maybe put them between the others at first.