Adding plums this year please make some recommendations

Hello,
I am planning my tree orders and grafting for this winter. I would like to add more plums.
I don’t know that much about plums. Currently I have a multi grafted tree with beauty, methley, shiro and another that I dont remember. I like these plums. I also have a Jefferson that hasn’t fruited yet and a pluot that is a very shy bearer.
I like plums for fresh eating and jam making. I do not plan to make prunes.
I’m in South East Michigan zone 6a
Thanks

1 Like

Valor is highly recommended by some. I think prune plums are great for fresh eating and especially for jam making. (I don’t make prunes either, but I might start next week if the expected rain doesn’t persist too long.)

1 Like

I am expanding my plum varieties since they are the easiest type of fruit to grow here that are somewhat insect free and do not get a lot of bird damage. I used the cross pollination chart and data from others to select varieties that best cross pollinate the ones I already have. This will ultimately give more production since there are many years when the weather and the bee population are not favorable to pollination.
Start grafting plums when spring ambient temps are generally above 60F and rootstock buds begin to open.
Dennis
Kent wa

1 Like

Hedge your bets. Go with a few reliable varieties but also take a chance with some higher quality but more tempermental varieties. My climate is similar to yours. For reliability, I’d go with Toka. Small plum, but tastes better than Shiro and Methley. Kahinta has been very reliable for me also, Fedco has it this year. AU Rosa is also a good choice and higher quality than Toka. Dapple Dandy is fairly reliable for a pluot, high quality. All of those would be in a similar general (asian) plum pollination group as your Shiro, Methley, and Beauty. For euros, I’d go with Castleton, Empress, Damson (reliable, good for jam) and a proper Green Gage. I can confirm that One Green World and Raintree have good Green Gage trees, probably Trees of Antiquity also. Others, like Cummins, might also but I haven’t tried theirs first hand. FWIW Shiro and Beauty would also be recommendations, but you already have them.

2 Likes

Every time i see a Purple Heart cut open i want one. Mount Royal is a good choice for a backup plan in case of a bad winter etc…i think its fairly precocious as well.

1 Like

I would suggest Spring Satin. It is actually a plumcot. It is good eating and productive.

2 Likes