Advice on best rootstock for zone 8B south Georgia

I am new to grafting… I have the supplies and have been reading and watching youtube videos. I have apples, pears, plums and pears planted so I should be able to get scions to use. My question is what rootstock is best for my zone…8B in south Georgia… I have wild plums around my field…I have a big plum that has been planted in my yard since 1981 and both have plenty of suckers… So i think i can use that for the plums… I also have a pear tree out at the barn that has been there for at least 75 year and there are 3 or 4 that have come up under it…I am gonna try using that for the pears…
What would be the best rootstock for my apples…I have plenty of room to plant so do not need the dwarfing ones that keep the tree small…
thanks for any help
tommyg

Greetings and welcome to the Forum. I’m also in 8B South Georgia{Brantley County}.

I’ve been researching Apple rootstock for here for a while. Here we have sandy loam .It would also help knowing the size of tree you want.

M111 is the ole gold standard and it does well here on sand. But it’s a tall tree and you have a while {7-10 yrs} to fruit.

I’ve read Bud B.9 and B.118 runt out in our summer heat a lot.

If you look around at Ag programs and heritage gardens around the South; Geneva G.202/G.210/G.214 are used a lot.

I have Polish P.1 but hope to get P.14 next year. They say for sand and heat; tree mass and root area matters. P.14 is pretty much the tops for big trunks on big roots other then some ultra rare german rootstocks. And P.14 gives plenty of growth for scions and does well in yields and size in various NC-140 tests.

Have not decided which; but this years rootstock will be either Bud.10 or P.2.

I like 35% of standard size trees.

2 Likes

Curious, do you mean P.18? P14 seems to be slightly larger than M26. seems strange to me that a tree with M26 size/vigor would grow a thicker trunk than a full size tree (MM111 or seedling)

Do you know the name of the ultra rare german rootstock? Might nog be so rare here… and would be nice to add to the collection.

2 Likes

I live on a farm and have plenty of room to plant… but i would rather not wait 7-10 years for an apple…was looking at the semi dwarf just wasnt sure which one to get for our zone… i have several trees planted…a red delicious apple, gala apple, gold rush, dorsett golden, granny smith, and a dolgo crabapple…no idea what rootstock was used as i purchased them from a nursery but kind of hoping they shoot up some suckers i can use…I will look into the ones you suggested…thanks for reply

Larger then all other Semi-dwarves in the trails. P.14. P.18 or P.16 are not in the various state trails that I’ve read. P.14 is a brute of the Semi-dwarfs. The German stocks were from the "PI} series. 54 & 55 I think.

NYStateReport2007.doc (818 KB)

2 Likes

Perhaps G.214 or G.210 would be your best bullet proof choice. Precosis in 2-3 years. Very disease resistant. Most of the small Mailing trees you have to spray the heck out of to survive other then M7. But M7 takes it’s sweet time to fruit too…

Cummins and Meyraben Nurseries offer quanity breaks on them.

1 Like

since you are in the same zone i am in and i am learning to graft what have you found to be the best way to graft the apple tree and what time of year has it worked best for you… thanks for your help also…I live in Irwin County near Irwinville.
tommyg

Generally as soon as my rootstock arrives. But just to line them out in potts in the garage. I will get them in the ground after the possibility of frost passes for good. Seems like every time I try in the end of March; an alarm to send a freak April frost goes off somewhere…lol