Aggressive growing pears- low chill types?

Im starting to notice a trend that low chill pears seem to be faster growing pears but I have no other proof of this aside from observation. Can I use this in problem areas? Leona is a fast growing pear that comes to mind! Are pears from warmer areas faster growers in general? What’s the downside to growing this class of pears in Kansas? Which pears technically fall into this group?

1 Like

Hood seems to be growing extra fast at my place.

1 Like

Bill,
That sounds reasonable. I will look into low chill varieties and see if they all have that tendency to grow faster. I’m suspicious an interstem with those types might cause a low chill to fruit faster. Some trees are slow and if a few years could be trimmed off it would be nice.

1 Like

I have two limbs of Hood grafted on trees with dwarf interstems but it is a little early to decide how fast it will fruit. One had three cluster blooms this year but they were all wiped out by the early cold snap. I plan to only allow them a small area until I see how they do at my location.

1 Like

Think hood is one I’m trying this year. Several of the low chill pears lack quality I’m told but I will update on how they do here. Kansas grows pretty good pears.

1 Like

Spaulding is one of the most vigorous pears that I’ve ever grown. It grows like a weed here in Phoenix.

1 Like

How does it taste? If it tastes good that’s a great bonus. May need to try that one.

Pretty mild (somewhat sweet). About one notch below Hood, but better than a lot of Southern pears.

1 Like