All things tractors thread

I don’t have a number or percentage that it may be accurate, My trouble with it is that it is Edited by THE PEOPLE…supposedly. The ones that want what they want pay people to edit it. True story

Sorry, Derek, I guess we didn’t give you a decent price to offer on that LS, but at least you have some opinions and more info on the brand. What were you considering for your bid?

1 Like

i found out it’s a 2013, not sure i should bother with it now. no dealers close to me and they don’t sound super reliable. i was thinking 20k would b a reasonable selling price but you never know at auctions. trying to figure out what would be a price low enough to outweigh the negatives. im thinking 15k might be close…

Yeah I was thinking about $20k, don’t know if it was justified. Since you prob won’t bid on it, it may still be interesting to see what it goes for.

My JD tractor is 30 plus years old, and I’ve had issues with it (see up thread). Plus it won’t start sometimes, but I think that’s because of some shifter interlock issue. Otherwise it’s been pretty reliable for me. Buying anything used is a risk, but sometimes it pays off.

1 Like

#1 most important thing is a reliable local dealer for parts and support. I have multiple brands I’d like to consider, but nearest dealer is 100+ miles…

2 Likes

I went with LS because there are 2 good LS dealers within 30 miles of me, otherwise would have gone with a different brand. I’m a tractor novice and thus did not feel comfortable buying used and like the 6 year LS warranty

1 Like

Did you bid?

1 Like

rain yesterday so suction is today now. gonna check it out unless something comes up.

1 Like

We finally pulled the trigger on a dump trailer. We saw this at the Woodsmen’s Field Days in Boonville, NY (Outdoors with the Morgan’s filmed a couple days there this year) and we went to check it out a couple weeks after. We’ve wanted one for a while and it has already been really helpful. We use it “off-road” mostly but it’s road legal and has pull out ramps in the back so we can load the 4-Wheelers or Gator in it. So far we’ve been able to get all the pine logs that were too big to chip out of the future orchard site. We cut them into 2’ lengths and the neighbor across the street took them to burn in his outdoor boiler for fall heat. Now I’m moving the piles of wood chips out of the field so we can plow and seed. Hope to have the rest of the stumps pulled this fall and they will be disposed of off-site. Final count on trees removed was 977. The only issue with this trailer so far is a crappy battery that runs the hydraulic lift. A deep cycle replacement is going to be a necessary improvement/replacement.

4 Likes

Tractor went for 19,500, about 4500 more than what I wanted to pay. Also it was kept outside and wasnt well taken care of, the radiator was almost completely plugged with grass/dirt, etc… Also it appeared one of the front wheels was just slightly angled wrong, not a good thing IMO. Ive been looking at some auctions and it seems like there are a lot of 50s, 60s and 70s tractors available at auctions, but not nearly as many 80s, 90s and 2000s, at least in the smaller size class. Were the older tractors just built better or what? Or maybe everyone moved to larger equipment after that time period?

2 Likes

I suspect the old ones were just built better

Certainly true with home appliances

3 Likes

Well, I wasn’t too far off, but with all those issues with it, it’s prob not worth that much.

I agree with Lois, those smaller to medium sized tractors were prob built better. I see lots of older tractors around here, I think their appeal is that they might be easier to work on, that is, if you can get parts. Mine was made in 1981, and I haven’t had a problem getting parts.

2 Likes

I went to kabota dealerships and look at a L 2501, diesel, bucket, boxblade, $ 18200. New.
Looking at the driveline, this thing is well built, optional fat tires including. Why bother with a used one.
Had an old Ford diesel tractor with a drag blade only and a smaller Kubota,21 hp, too small.
I might get one next spring. Dealer have a used one similar to the L2501, 2012, 700 hr for $ 11900. Asking price. No hst. In 2012 you can buy that tractor for less than 15 g,s with trailer. That is holding their value .

1 Like

I had the L3200 and it was bulletproof

I understand demand for used tractors is up because people are trying to avoid the DPF Regneration required on all current diesel tractors.

4 Likes

Yes, the older models held up really well and are very easy to work on. I currently have an old Ford 3000 from 68. I can rebuild the engine for $400 as long as I don’t have to mess with the crank. You can buy any part you need for it with no problem. I am looking at buying a larger new tractor simply because it is not large enough to some of the things I want to do, but it is a real workhorse for it’s size. It runs around 38 HP at the PTO.

3 Likes

130hrs is practically new. I have a 2012 open station LS 4041H that had 70hours on it when I bought it in 2013 and I paid 20K for it. Mine is tier 3, I think the XR is tier 4, but I’d have to look it up. It’s been a great tractor. That cab tractor with forks for 19,500, someone got a great deal IMO. I think that tractor was about 30K new. Hydrostatic drive is great for loader work. They loose a little pto power, but the ability to drive as slowly as the power will handle makes up for it.

I believe LS makes New Holland’s boomer series, they are just cheaper without the New Holland decals. They also have a different loader than the boomers, lower lift height with higher lift capacity, if I remember correctly. I lift some big logs for my sawmill with mine. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy an LS, lots of tractor for the money.

4 Likes

I’d consider LS, except that the “dealers” in my area are sole proprietors selling from home, and they’re not really young either. Not sure how much parts/service support I’d get now, much less in a few years when they probably call it quits.

Kubota dealer rents new tractors to local vineyards for harvest, then sells them “new” with 100-200 hours on them and a discount, so I’ll see what I can get.

2 Likes

Here you would pay nearly the same for a new as a 1-200 hour tractor. The Used are at a premium in Florida. We have the same issue with LS here. I really didn’t mean to insinuate they are a bad tractor. I don’t think they are. Just taking care of them and a good dealer system is very hard to find.

Yeah, I think that for the much lower price the cheaper tractors like LS are probably fine, as long as you have good support and reasonable expectations. In my area, the only dealers with real support and a stock of parts are Kubota, NH and JD. I would love the chance to check out a MF, Kioti, etc. dealer, but they’re too far away to easily get anything in a hurry.

2 Likes