All things tractors thread

I do it all the time. I see others doing it all the time. Has never been an issue with the tractors i’ve operated. I do a lot of backing up and mowing and never had a problem.

My grandpa stepped over a spinning drive shaft once while blowing silage up into the silo. Lucky for him he had a very old pair of blue jeans on and it just ripped them off him, could have been much worse. My grandpa had a habit of wearing his jeans in such a manner that they were probably just one good tug away from falling down at any given moment, lol.

Soundslike he was before his time

1 Like

Yes, he was a pretty tough acting old guy but I think that really scared the stuffing out of him.

1 Like

OK, I just got back after trying @fruitnut 's suggestion. It did not matter which direction the tractor is going in, the PTO spun the same direction. So, I went out and did some backwards mowing. I have some of my apple trees close to the corn patch, where my maneuverability is limited, so this came in handy. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Thanks @c5tiger, I’ll try that next time with the steering wheel if it doesn’t start. Considering how temperamental it is, maybe I should give it a :grimacing: face or :confused: or :stuck_out_tongue: or maybe a :angry: face at the same time as well…

Subdood,

You have what is called a “live” PTO. As you have discovered, those never turn backwards. Same thing with an independent hydraulic PTO.

I’ve not ever seen it, but some of the real old tractors, (which had transmission PTOs) would spin the PTO backwards when the tractor was in reverse.

I once talked with someone who used one of those old tractors to run a post hole digger. He said if you got the post hole digger stuck, you could jack up one wheel of the tractor, put the tractor in reverse and “unscrew” the post hole digger out of the ground.

Tiger,

I once worked for a farmer who had to start his old JD that way. Can you explain to me why releasing the hydraulic pressure would aid in starting?

I don’t know enough to give a detailed answer but it would be like trying to start your car in gear with the clutch out. The tractor engine would turn over but slowly but not fast enough to crank. The hydraulic system would build pressure with no release, turning the steering wheel gave the oil somewhere to go.
If the engine does not turn over at all it may be the neutral switch, turning the steering wheel probably won’t help.

1 Like

Some new pics of the rig, with the bush hog attached. Got finished with the mowing right before the daily monsoon hit. Had a bear of a time getting the mower’s PTO attachment off the tractor’s. Guess it’s time for a grease job. My dog had to photo-bomb me in the last shot…

4 Likes

good afternoon and sorry for responding so late, I’ve been this weekend lounging on the beach.

I see that control the oil in your country and mine is the same, here is the oil of yellow color used in cars and is more expensive and red diesel which is used in agriculture and should be used only in agricultural machinery, there are roadblocks by the police and when the vehicle stopped a truck, poor example recojen a sample of the oil for analysis (is not whether it is true or not but say that for more than 6 months remaining residue and can detect if you use the oil in your car)

in the last year are also making sure that lots of this product are bought at gas stations, I remember that from 2000 liters watching you is that some farmers have in their house heating boilers that run on diesel and try to buy diesel for tractors, but in the end they use at home.

forget to mention that in my country can not afford this oil with cash, you must be paid with a special credit card and so government officials can monitor you best

if all or almost all tractors are double-wheel drive or 4WD.

There tractors of different width, which is not exactly the allowable width, there are very narrow tractors designed for vintage in the vineyards streets are very narrow and very narrow machinery is needed, this is a narrow tractor:
http://www.caseih.com/emea/es-es/productos/tractors/quantum-v-n-f

Cartepillar is very well regarded in Europe in large, heavy machinery.

in my particular case I Cartepillar not do well, it is too heavy machinery and aprasta much ground he walks and plowing out many lumps.

Cartepillar in my country is very used for the construction of bridges, roads, mines and sites where large machines and high power is needed
http://www.cat.com/es_ES/products/new/equipment.html

Cartepillar is very well regarded in Europe in large, heavy machinery.

in my particular case I Cartepillar not do well, it is too heavy machinery and aprasta much ground he walks and plowing out many lumps.

Cartepillar in my country is very used for the construction of bridges, roads, mines and sites where large machines and high power is needed

a friend of mine has a Cartepillar machine adapted to the olive harvest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90gSMpy2Kqc

maybe you already know, but you have to be very careful when operating the PTO.
PTO must be stopped whenever you get off the tractor or go to approach her to manage a mechanism, the son of a friend of mine PTO wrenched one arm and I know another man who was about to die.

if you approach without precaution in a negligence you can grab part of his shirt and will catch you sucking

if you have any problems when wanting to introduce a march is because the gears are not synchronized, remove the gas vehicle (not speed) depress the clutch and brake thoroughly and reinsert the lever gears

a question, in the United States their machines must pass some annual check to see the good condition of the vehicles?

in my country during the first 8 years is not necessary, of the 8 to 16 years must pass an inspection every 2 years and after 16 years the review will be every year.

in the inspection will monitor the nehumaticos not are very worn, levels of smoke and pollution tractor, lights, turn signals, brakes, swing wheels and a few more things, if you do not pass the review you are not authorized to use your vehicle until you repair machinery (trailers must also pass review and any machine that has registration and using the road, all-terrain cars must pass every 6 months).

this year have put even tougher laws and also have to go and review all machinery used to treat with herbicides to be sure that you do not have leaks and not pollute too much land (I see it all ok, but sometimes too much control lose many days of work with many controls)

regarding accidents with tractor, one thing is very common that you can fall asleep, I ever have I fallen asleep a few seconds (long working hours and fatigue can make you fall asleep)

No worries, I’m sure you needed some time off from all the work in your olive business.

I’m not aware of there being colored oil here, just the diesel, but others on here might be aware if it. Maybe you are talking about diesel, and not oil also? You or someone else might have mentioned that heating oil and diesel are the same.

I can’t speak for over the road truckers who use lots of diesel, but I wonder if they are subjected to inspections of their fuel tanks to make sure they’re not using the off road diesel.

Yes, a lot of governments seem to be pushing folks towards a cashless society. I know in Europe the ECB is stopping the printing of the €500 note. And, in France, you cannot make a cash transaction of anything over €1000, and in Italy, nothing over €3000. There have been talks in this country in some circles to stop printing the $100 note.

They say the reason is to limit money laundering or “terrorist” activities, but I’m not so sure. Could it really be that they want force you into using electronic transactions, to, as you say, monitor your spending? I don’t know.

Well, hope you enjoyed your trip to the beach, did you go somewhere like Barcelona or Valencia, or maybe even Ibiza?

Regarding vehicle inspections, it varies from state to state. I lived in a large city in Texas, and your vehicle had to pass both a safety inspection and pass an emissions test. Did not matter how old the vehicle is.

The safety check verified that your lights work properly, your tires have sufficient tread, your brakes work, etc. The emissions testing was to make sure your vehicle wasn’t polluting too much. If your car failed any of these tests, you had to get that problem fixed before you would get a passing certificate. This had to be done every year. You also had to show proof of having auto insurance, or they would not do the inspection.

Now that we’re in Kentucky, we are not required to pass any safety or emissions tests. I think there should be at least a safety inspection to keep unsafe vehicles off the road. But, it is nice not to have to pay for a test every year.

We do have to pay a vehicle registration fee every year, that usually costs us about $50 a year per vehicle. In some states you also have to pay property tax on your car or truck.

My tractor doesn’t have to pass any inspection or emssions tests. But, maybe those farmers who grow commercial crops may have to pass a tractor and/or an equipment inspection. I don’t know for sure.

I have been in the south which is where are the nearest beaches to my city, specifically I have been in fuengirola, benalmadena and torremolinos 3 cities that are practically one city (have cast many hotels and apartments in the 3 cities are already linked each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3BM7dJfSw4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5_qekr01jc
500 euro notes will be eliminated, with too many large bills that are being used by the mafias to camouflage money

No inspections of ag or construction equip. in the U.S. In the state of KS there are no automobile inspections either. MO has vehicle inspections. Personally, I like not having vehicles inspected. I haven’t noticed any junkier vehicles in KS where they don’t expect, vs. MO where they do.

After having the International Harvester split all summer waiting for me to get done with market season…I finally put some brain power into getting it fixed and back together. To celebrate I grabbed the hay rack and went thru the neighborhood picking up kids for a ride. Much fun was had by adults and kids alike.

My favorite thing about this picture is the backdrop. When people think of Arizona they think desert and cactus. I dont. I think of places just like pictured. Huge trees and lush lawns on irrigated land. This is the old Arizona, the farmlands of Maricopa county fed by a sustainable river reservoir system that was privately built and is still privately held. This used to be the norm in our county. With water the desert truly can bloom.

9 Likes

Congrats on getting the tractor back together, looks good. I imagine the kids got a kick out of it. Bet that’s a relief knowing you don’t have to work in that hot garage again. Didn’t you say you installed a PTO on it when it previously had just a plate there?

I got the JD out last week and did some mowing around the barn, the orchard and some food plots that had got overgrown. Think it’ll get used one more time before winter, I’ll need to bush hog the pasture before it gets out of control.

I’ve been thru AZ once, I had to help move my sister from San Diego all the way back to Oklahoma. We drove into Phoenix then up to Flagstaff, and then took I 40 almost all the way home. I was surprised how mountainous it was going up to Flagstaff, made for slow going in a moving van, but it was very scenic.

1 Like

Yes it was ordered from the factory with a PTO delete. To install one I had to split the tractor to install the PTO drive shaft that ran from the transmission to the rear of the tractor, then install the PTO unit on the back. That part was pretty straight forward. It was aligning the parts as the two halves are re-mated that was giving me fits. There is a delicate (and expensive) roller bearing that must fit inside a cup type receiver coming off the transmission. Its a super tight fit and must be done completely blindly. The first time I attempted to put it back together it was very slightly misaligned and damaged the roller bearing. Oh and did I mention that this roller bearing is a B#@@H to get off to replace? No standard bearing puller can get to it. Back in the day IH made a special bearing puller just for this bearing, but they are impossible to get now. So a big part of the delay was having to make a custom puller to get this bearing off. Then heating the new bearing in oil and freezing the shaft with dry ice to mount the new one. Anyway, with some great tips from the old guys in the IH redpower forums and alot of patience I was able to get it aligned properly and back together. Phew!

Also rebuilt the steering box, rebuilt the brakes, and put a new seat on her. Now to put it to work prepping my front field in a week for its winter cover crop.

4 Likes