Amadiocots are ripe

Let’s not start a Calif vs. AZ war, LOL.

Your fruit sounds amazing. Congrats.

2 Likes

Same, if not more so for me. It’s only topped 60 degrees once in the last week (barely) and isn’t forecast to do so again until this weekend (63 and AM rain). So I haven’t grafted them, or any other apricots yet.

I have been grafting plums (both Euro and Asian), though I’m not sure if I’ll regret it due to the cold temps. The long range forecast shows high 60’s to low 70’s mid next week, which I’m thinking is about where I should start on the apricots.

There is no war. But I will tell you that the only bad thing about Arizona is all the Californians that have moved here. lol

1 Like

Eric, the Amadiocot I grafted a month or so ago took and is growing really well. Thank you so much, that’s a great looking Apricot!!

1 Like

I grafted apricots,peaches, and nectarines a few weeks ago when we had a good 7-10 day warm stretch (68-84 day time temps.) I’ve not seen a single graft that looks bad at this point. They are all pushing growth. Obviously this means nothing at this point but it’s encouraging. Could be stored energy in the scions but when they start pushing full sized leafs I start feeling pretty sure I have reasonably good cambium contact. Callusing will be the issue.

Warmth seems to be the key. I am no expert grafter yet its magically easy for me here, and yet I see so many from other parts of the country have issues. I really think many of those issues are due to low temperatures. Which we never have here.

I think your right… one reason i just haven’t spring grafted stonefruit here… maybe next year i’ll give it a try, but for now i’ll stick to summer budding. I’ll see how much success others have with it.

1 Like

I know it is hard to believe but I am planning to graft mine tomorrow. Finally temps on the upper 70s and low 80’s.

good afternoon eric, I want to ask 2 things:
1-that this is the ripening on the tree of its apricots? all ripen very fast or have a slow, slow maturation?

2-that such is their preservation in the refrigerator? Endure many days unripe excess?

Wow, this tree is loaded, very nice looking apricot too.

It typically blooms very compactly and ripens the entire tree within 10-14 days. The dont hold in the refrigerator for more than a few days.

Its truly a pick it and pop it in your mouth fruit.

1 Like

Man those look good. Good size it looks like. Have you ever tried drying them or preserving them since they don’t keep well?

We have tried but they are clingstone so they are a total pain to work with. Top that with being super soft. Just not worth the effort.

They didn’t all move to AZ. A good portion took off to WA and OR.

1 Like

I understand that for sure. Being clingstone does make it harder to work with for sure. Oh well I guess you’ll just to eat em all! Farmers privilege I guess.

1 Like

An Amadiocot graft on Fantasia Nectarine is finally waking up.Still hoping for a few others. Brady

2 Likes

I’ve got at least one take as well. I’m still waiting on a few others, but it looks like 3 of the 4 grafts on my K1 rootstock (planted last year) took. Lasgerdi Mashaad failed, but that is OK, as I have some good ones elsewhere.

I do need to pull back the mint again, as it is encroaching…

3 Likes

I’m sure you’ve explained the genesis before and I missed it, but with a name like “Amadiocot” I assume this is something you created? I’m curious about the origins of Amadiocots! They look incredible. Large, beautiful, and apparently tasty! Have you considered a patent? Just curious about them!

The Amadiocot is a seedling tree that was on property when we bought our place. Medium of size, low chill, and extremely soft. Bruises easily but incredible flavor and juiciness.

2 Likes

I sure hope I get to try one in a few years, one of my grafts looks really promising.

1 Like