American persimmon rootstock (D. viginiana)

Ive been on the hunt for this, found this site and ordered. I received these… these are their jumbo trees @6.25 ea. The regular ones are 2 for that price. Just thought I would pass it on. Emails were answered promptly too.

http://thetreestore.info/

5 Likes

Roots look nice!

Just in case you are nervous, persimmon roots are supposed to be black like that!

2 Likes

Missouri Department of Conservation sells D. virginiana seedlings for $0.80/tree if you buy 10+, $0.40/tree if you buy 25+ and $0.32/tree if you buy 100+.
https://mdc6.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/TreeSeedling/Home/ProductDetails/56
They sell to out of state customers as well.

4 Likes

The roots do look good. I was trying to find some large enough to graft this year. Most places I contacted they were only about 12 inch seedlings. That might have been an easy go for some of you experienced grafters. These were a lot less expensive than the other 2 year old trees I found. Now I just hope that I can get a graft to take on one of them…:flushed:

1 Like

I believe that letting a rootstock to get established for one year is the best mode of action regardless of its original size. This significantly increases the chance of successful graft. You hardly loose any time since next year the graft will grow much faster on established roots. And after one year, it will be a decent size even if what you bought was a tiny stick.

4 Likes

Oh…I firmly agree with that…:flushed:. But that belief does nothing for my desire for instant gratification!:joy::joy::joy:. I actually have some rootstocks coming that will grow until next year for what I hope will be more successful grafting. And I think that is especially true with persimmons. My eureka was extremely slow to start growing. I bought a potted plant but I think it had been recently potted from bare root and that year it did not grow much at all. The next year it took off like a shot. So when it comes time for grafting these I will say…”Now? or wait?” I’m not sure what will happen.

1 Like

Looks like they are sold out , but they still have paw paws if anyone is interested

@k8tpayaso Thanks for the headsup, thetreestore.info had some in stock still so ordered from them.

1 Like

How are the bare roots you received from the tree store? Persimmons??

The picture at the start of the thread are the rootstocks from the tree store. The roots were good. Much better than the roots I. The ones that came from lawyers. I think maybe the buds may be beginning to swell on these trees but it’s early if they are. I haven’t decided yet whether to graft this year or let them grow a year.

Thanks, I missed the first part. They do look nice. I have several from the county from last year I’ve been growing. Not sure how they’ve survived so far. They were not near your picture size.

Thanks!!

1 Like

I received persimmon rootstock from lawyers nursery last week. I bought the quarter inch ones. Roots on them looked great as well.

1 Like

The ones I got from lawyers were good but these were better.

1 Like

RUenvsci can you post pics of your lawyers order?

I’m in the same situation as you regarding whether to graft the newly received scions this year or not. I’ve read that it is best to wait a year, and then graft them once they are established. I really want to graft them this year, but I don’t want transplantation shock to be a factor that reduces the amount of takes that I get. I noticed, in general, that persimmons have an especially difficult time when being transplanting…

I think so too. It is really hard to decide to delay something a whole year when you have scions in the fridge. However a couple of years ago I went to a nursery to buy a persimmon. We looked at all of them and then ignorantly chose one that was just leafing out as opposed to one that was full and beautiful. My thinking was that the fewer leaves the less likely to have transplant shock. When we planted it at home we discovered that what we bought was a newly potted bare root tree. That year that little tree hardly grew (first year sleeps) but last year it grew pretty well—enough that I feel it is going to be good. So from that experience I think I should wait until these roots are better established but I still have this urge!!

1 Like

I have had similar experiences as you. To compound the problem, I will have a lot of scionwood this year due to some extreme pruning that needs to be done on my two Nikita’s gift. I’m tempted to graft all of it now that my seedlings have arrived!

I was encouraged though by the roots on the lawyers seedlings. They came with more roots than some small grafted persimmon trees I have ordered in the past. I have a firm belief that persimmons do better started out in pots as small seedlings, than being being transplanted bare root as larger trees.

1 Like

What I’m likely to do is graft 3-4 and leave the others til next year!

1 Like