American persimmons time

Just harvested these American persimmons today from my 7 varieties multi grafted tree. They are real sweet and tasty.

Tony

13 Likes

Beautiful Tony! Enjoy them, I am sure that you and your family will have a fabulous dessert!

1 Like

Tony, they look delicious.

I sat today from my deck and decided which ornamental trees will get the chainsaw and become replaced with persimmon trees.

Dax

3 Likes

H-118, Prok, 100-46, and H63A will be gorgeous with excellent fruits. Good luck Dax.

Tony

2 Likes

Very light crop on all my persimmons this year. All are finished except Keener, which still has most of its crop hanging on.
Very early this year… usually, NC-10 is my earliest ripening variety and would just be dropping first ripe fruits around 10-15 Sept, but I’ve been eating persimmons for nearly a month, and they’re done now…

1 Like

Hi Tony, which variety are the really large ones? I planted a Prok this year after reading about its good qualities.

Andrew,

100-46 is the largest one from Jerry Lehman’s collection. Prok and H-118 are almost the same large size but H-118 is a little jucier than Prok. All these three are at the top of the American persimmons.

Tony

3 Likes

Persimmon pulp. !

3 Likes

You should try to make persimmon beer. They served them at the persimmon festival in Indiana.

2 Likes

Still pulping
As it comes out of the mill ,there is the clean buttery pulp,
Which we are freezing,
The so called wast has some fibers and black flecks in it, not as visually appealing ,but good. Makeing fruit leather out of it.
Despite being the sweetest native american fruit,the dried fruit leather is not as sweet as I would have expected…with added sugar it is delightful

4 Likes

What do other members here do with their persimmon harvest ? ? ?
Looking for ideas … Recipes etc.

@Levers101 recently said persimmon chiffon pie is great.

http://www.redfernfarm.com/index.php/helpful-info/recipes/american-persimmon/

Dax