Another reason for growing your own & eating well-

Quail have been raised and selected to be non setters for perhaps thousands of years. That is why they are good layers…they don’t get any maternal urges.

1 Like

Yes, the life expectancy is declining, and even when the life expectancy was increasing, the healthy life expectancy hasn’t increased in decades. We are living longer hooked up to tubes, on 9 medications, unable to walk around the block. It’s like the system is designed to keep us just barely alive until they can suck all of the money out of us, then we can die.
John S

6 Likes

We have a no roo ordinance here but I’m wondering if I can get away with having silkie males? Are they just as loud as a regular rooster?

My husband is a chef and we are both intrigued by the silkie’s uniqueness. I would love to be able to hatch out babies too.

They don’t tend to be as loud as normal roosters. The rooster I currently have is very quiet. I also have a dozen young roosters growing out that I never hear.

That being said we once had one who was rather shrill and could be heard a long way away. We used to put him in an upside down mesh bin at night and let him out each morning, it was not tall enough to stand, so he could not crow properly at night. It doesn’t stop him crowing, it stops him standing fully to get out a loud crow. It was wire mesh so he had ample ventilation.

2 Likes

I think there is a difference between rural living and urban living. We drink well water, no chlorine, but some natural floride, as the well is deep enough to be close to the florspar containing granite under the sandstone here. We eat a lot of our own vegies, fruit and nuts, especially nuts. We have our own eggs and meat chickens. Our chickens eat a lot of grass, so not only is the meat well flavoured, but the feed consumption is pretty low too, per pound of oven ready carcass. If one eats berries and fruit right off the bushes/trees as one picks, one innoculates ones own gut with something useful. It doesn’t seem to be a problem anyway, as we are both on the pension and healthy. Don’t sweat it too much, grin. Eat lots of foods where you can recognize the ingredients, not so much out of a box or can, learn to cook. It’l be fine :slight_smile:

6 Likes

usually the larger the roos the louder the crow. my bantams and silkie can’t be heard far but , our barred rock , Bubba ,wakes the neighborhood up a half hour before sunrise.:wink: luckily its all older people around us and it reminds them of their childhood. they even stop and feed the birds occasionally.

4 Likes