Anticlimactic Harvest

I’ve actually had a great year in terms of harvest, but I find that harvest is a bit anticlimactic and wonder if anyone has similar feelings. Not because it isn’t as big or as tasty as I hoped, but just in general it doesn’t always live up to the year-long anticipation and expectations. And when I pick a tree clean, there is a certain sadness that comes from knowing I have a whole year of waiting, working, and anticipating ahead now.

I honestly think I enjoy planning more than actually picking! I enjoying looking through catalogs and on-line retailers at all the possible selections. I love to read articles about how to grow fruit, make it better, etc. It’s fun to spend hours right here on GF reading about fruit growing, hearing others stories, and thinking about what I’ll grow or graft next year. I especially love walking through my orchard from the moment the buds swell, to full bloom, and then watching the fruit grow . Its especially exciting the week or two before harvest as you start to get a real feel for how the fruit is going to turn out and checking it every day to see if its ready.

But then the day comes when you actually get to start picking. And those first few fruits ARE extremely exciting and do live up to expectations and it feels like it was wort the wait and the work. But, at least for me, when the time comes that the whole tree is ripe and I need to pick it all clean and suddenly the fruit is over for the year (for that tree, at least), I actually feel a little disappointment! Again, it is as if the planning and expectations and growth monitoring are more fun than actually picking and enjoying the fruit. Just wondered if anyone else has similar feelings at or after harvest?

2 Likes

It helps if you process or preserve the harvest - I get quite the satisfaction from looking, say, at newly-canned jars on the shelf

Even the crates of onions

2 Likes

I really like that response. Tells me you know exactly what I mean, because you are absolutely right…a full freezer and/or shelves absolutely are fulfilling to see and it is nice knowing you don’t have to wait a whole year to enjoy your fruit again.

1 Like

I’m always glad to see it come and glad to see it gone! I know what you mean though but I planted trees that produce progressively one after another until the snow flys. We go into winter with a few trash barrels of fruit sitting in the kitchen most of the time,

2 Likes

I hear you city man, I too love the aimless wandering thru the fruit trees examining each new graft daily for signs of life, and the excitement of success as a tree flowers and then sets fruit. I enjoy the whole process that goes into researching what a fruit tree needs to grow well, it is part of the excitement of a back yard orchard. For me it also includes endless hours on this forum reading all the posts, trying to glean any information I can so as to increase my fruit growing knowledge.

And I understand the feeling of dismay as all of a sudden it is over, winter is coming and for a little while there is a slight lull, nothing to look forward too. AND THEN!!! an idea strikes, what if I start growing* _insert any new fruit tree here :grinning: * and I’m off again on the quest for next springs grafting line-up, or new rootstock, or new tree.

4 Likes

Have you considered trying to breed your own fruit? That’s a fun long-term project that requires lots of planning and mapping out and anticipation. Maybe you could improve on Orangeglo Watermelon?

1 Like

I share your pain. I just finished picking all my Orient pears a few days ago. It is a little sad to look at the tree without fruit.

1 Like

To me, it earns a sigh of relief. All the unknowns are answered - Will I get it before the _____ (varmints) do? Are there worms in it? What is the brix going to be? Do I need to water? Spray? Etc?
Done with that phase.
To me, once it is inside, or, in the canning jar, it is safe and I can forget about it.

1 Like

I love all these responses and hearing that we all have similar thoughts/feelings. And I do want to look into breeding…I’ve thought a lot about that and it would open a new area of exploration. I’d especially enjoy it with mellons, since "d get a seed each year. I’d have to bag my blooms since I plant so many varieties, but that is doable. Now, I don’t know if I have the patience for fruit breeding! Holy cow. Each time you cross something its probably 3-4 years to get a combined seed from it. WOW!

1 Like