Any Fresh Off of Tree Eating Limbertwigs?

Looking for the genuine Limbertwig flavor that isn’t too acid without time in storage. I haven’t got space for long term storage for lots of apples.

2 Likes

You might have already thought of this, but in case you haven’t: I bet if you emailed David Vernon at Century Farm Orchards that he would put you on the right track. Or at least you could cross-check his answer against others posted here.

1 Like

In my orchard, the best for fresh eating so far have been Red Royal LT, Myers’ Royal LT, and White LT. Oddly, they are also among the best keepers.

4 Likes

Let ‘em hang long enough and most are excellent right off the tree. Myers Royal, Black, and Kentucky I have had excellent ones right off the tree. Not Brushy Mountain so far though.

2 Likes

I’ve found that both Brushy Mountain LT and Caney Fork LT improve considerably with storage.

1 Like

Loved my old fashioned LT off the tree. A few in storage but most are eaten. A century farms tree MM111.

2 Likes

For fresh off the tree eating I like Myers Royal, Red Royal, Swiss and Caney Fork in that ripening order.

3 Likes

Picked my Royal Limbertwigs about three weeks ago, here in sunny, hot southern North Carolina. Many of them didn’t make it to the house! I love them fresh off the tree. I got my tree from David at Century Farms. In his catalogue he says it’s one of his favorites.

1 Like

I have a Myers Royal LT growing for a few years I bought from Century Farm Orchard. I look forward to tasting them off the tree.

I was referring to the earthy flavor that is distinctive in some limbertwig varieties. Whether or not it occurs late in storage or as soon as its fully tree ripe depending on the variety or never at all.

I believe it was Tom Burford that said some people cannot detect that taste. Having never had any of the named varieties myself, I wouldn’t know what if any differences they are.

It tastes like that when they are ripe. It may get sweeter with storage but the Limbertwig taste is there from the beginning.

I just tasted black limbertwig for the first time tonight. Ive never seen it for sale, had to grow it myself. If I remember correctly the scionwood came from 39th parallel. 3rd year growing on either M7 or M111. Im NY 5b. Harvested around Oct 23rd.

Texture was crisp, breaking and lightly crunchy. Quite tart but with ample sugar to balance. No standput flavor notes but complex, rich and satisfying. I wasnt sure it would ripen in this climate but am pleasantly surprised. This years crop also yielded two successful crosses xWilliams Pride and xCox’s Orange Pippin(both pollen parents).

4 Likes