Any good hardy kiwi tastes this fall?

It seems like it is in the sweet spot to both get big southern warm fronts and big arctic cold fronts. I’m sure that weather experts have some detailed explanation…

2 Likes

The big problem in TN and much of the mid-south, is that you have warm, sub-tropical air from the gulf driving early spring warmth, fighting against cold continental air blasting occasionally from the northwest. This extended spring season creates lots of opportunities for late freezes long after budbreak. Mid-winter warm spells are also common, and deacclimate dormant vines, making them quite vulnerable to freeze damage. Fuzzy kiwi seem to be extremely sensitive to these warm spells, but yellow kiwi are very tolerant.

Hardy kiwi are quite adaptable, and as they mature, they will gradually leaf out later, and also keep many primary buds dormant. If a late freeze kills the first wave of shoots, these latent buds can re-bloom, producing a crop.

Fuzzy and yellow kiwi don’t seem to do this, so they are usually one and done. Without freeze intervention, I would only see fruit about once every two to three years at my old orchard. Site selection is really important to avoid frost pockets.

I planted 4 hardy kiwis this March…2 male, 2 female.

One pair is growing well (about 6-7 feet so far this year). The 2nd pair looks like it is burnt, leaves turning brown in spots. QUESTION: Is there a rule of thumb how much you should water your kiwis? Also is there such a thing as too much sun for kiwis? Both pairs have separate trellises about twenty feet apart.

One of those looks like an arctic kiwi? I think they may be less happy in heat. The argutas never seemed to mind heat. I also never watered them.

Not sure what zone you are in so hard to say exactly, I am in zone 7a. Consider adding zone and location to your profile.