Any ideas on discouraging bears from ripping up orchard trees?

Depends on what they happen to be eating at the time. Here during blueberry season it is ok. During salmon run? I would not feed it to my dog, it is nasty.

Same thing with ducks. Duck hunters have a scale from the tastiest and most desirable to the ones you don’t bother to shoot. It has to do with their diet; ducks that eat fish are inedible.

2 Likes

Plott Hound. Maybe Black and Tan.

1 Like

That brings back memories of my late dog Chilli. He was an English bull terrier and took to gnawing the lower bars on our black locust deck chairs. So I got some habañeros, ground them into a paste with some oil and spread it on the chairs…
The little monster went and licked them all clean, then came to me babbling happily and asking for more…
He even raided my pepper patch.

2 Likes

my buddies a Maine guide and runs plotts and walkers for bear, coon and bobcat. i went on a few training hunts with him. talk about fast and furious!

High-voltage electric fence is about the only effective deterrent for bears.

Putting on my parasitology professor geek hat, now…
Have seen several posts on medical discussion lists recently about outbreaks of trichinosis associated with consumption of bear meat.
Evidently, freezing does not inactivate/kill encysted larvae of the Trichinella species nematode that commonly infects bears.
Freezing at 0F for 20 days will generally kill T. spiralis larvae in pork - but not T.nativa, found in bears, wild canids, and dogs.
Adequate cooking - to 160F (minimum) internal temperature for at least 3 minutes should kill encysted Trichinella larvae.

The incidence of Trichinella infection in conventional commercial swine is close to zero… Raised on concrete from conception to slaughter, and fed a ration based on corn and soybean meal, they really have no potential exposure.
Pastured pigs, which may eat rodents or engage in cannibalism, or pigs fed uncooked garbage/slop… the risk is still there.

4 Likes

Speaking of trichinosis: A “friend of a friend” accidentally encountered a bat and got several scratches. Went to the hospital and was treated for trichinosis! Does that sound right to you?

No. Not at all.
Trichinosis would require consumption of undercooked muscle tissue containing encysted Trichinella larvae.

Bat bites or scratches should have triggered most physicians to initiate Rabies post-exposure prophylaxis, if bat was unavailable for testing.

If beef is run through the same grinder as pork(or bear), without thorough cleaning in between, Trichinella contamination of the ground beef is a possibility… But one should never consume any ground meat product in a ‘pink’ state, anyway.

4 Likes