Any low chill pluots with a lil acidity?

Love flavor king and flavor grenade. But are there any low chill stone fruits especially pluots or plums that have a nice sweet-tart balance? Seems like pluots are known generally for sweetness. Any with a lil acid bite?

2 Likes

Flavor Supreme is very sweet, has great flavor, and a real acid kick. Many rate it best pluot along with Flavor King. I agree. It’s weakness is it can be hard to set. I have to hand pollinate to get a big crop.

4 Likes

I’m so happy you replied, your posts on stone fruit are always amazing. Will definitely look into Flavor Supreme had no idea that one has some acid. Doesn’t seem like it’s low chill though. I’m looking to grow in the Los Angeles area. Worth experimenting though.

Do I remember correct from previous tastings that Emerald Beaut is also all the way on the sweet side? I do remember liking it a lot.

Here is the Dave Wilson list of low chill plums and hybrids. Any good ones on this list that have some tart to balance the sweet? The ones I’ve tried that I would want to grow were delicious, richly flavored, but had no/trace acid. It would be nice to have a richly flavored one with some tart too alongside the sweet ones. I heard Dapple Dandy home grown in San Diego has a good sweet-tart balance but the one’s I’ve had at farmers markets and stores were all on bland side.

☐ BEAUTY (250, SF)
BURBANK (400, PR)
☐ BURGUNDY (3-400, SF)
☐ CATALINA (3-400, SF)
ELEPHANT HEART (5-600, PR)
FORTUNE (500, PR)
FRIAR (400, SF)
GOLDEN NECTAR* (500, PR)
☐ HOWARD MIRACLE (3-400, PR)
KELSEY (400, PR)
LARODA (400, PR)
LATE SANTA ROSA (500, SF)
☐ MARIPOSA (250, PR)
☐ METHLEY (200, SF)
NUBIANA (400, SF)
REDHEART (500, PR)
☐ SANTA ROSA (250, SF)
☐ SATSUMA (300, PR)
WEEPING SANTA ROSA (400, SF)
WICKSON (500, PR)
Cherry-Plums
DELIGHT* (375, PR)
SPRITE* (375, PR)
Pluot®
DAPPLE DANDY* (400, PR)
EMERALD DROP* (400, PR)
FLAVOR FINALE* (400, PR)
☐ FLAVOR GRENADE* (200, PR)
FLAVOR KING* (400, PR)
FLAVOR QUEEN* (3-400, PR)
☐ FLAVOROSA* (100, PR)
GEO PRIDE* (500, PR)
SPLASH* (400, PR)
Aprium®
☐ FLAVOR DELIGHT* (300, SF)
COT-N-CANDY* (400, SF)

1 Like

I’m eating Emerald Beaut right now. This yr at least mine have some acid and are very sweet. Kind of hard to tell when they’re ripe. I’d suspect more acid if on the greener side.

3 Likes