Anybody want any xu Zhou jujube wood?

I’m selling my house, probably will sell in a couple weeks. I got a Xu Zhou from England’s 5 years ago, yielded 1 jujube, almost no flowers this year, so I’m not making any effort to graft it. Let me know if any of you would like some wood

1 Like

Cliff told me that one was one of the most reliable for him - ? I grafted it this spring, maybe I shouldn’t give that graft much room.

I guess it wouldn’t be the first time a jujube does well in one part of the country, and not in another.

I’ll try to sneak back in a year and see if it’s done anything

I’m tempted… But I still haven’t been successful grafting anything at all… (Fingers still crossed, though)

It does look like a bigger vepariety than I already have… And I do have a rootstock whose graft failed… But I would have to move it

Interestingly, we have a large Bengali population here and they are huge fans of Boroe (or Baloi) as they call jujubes.

Scott

How has it done for you? I planted it in 2018 from Cliff and it is one of the first jujube to have a little fruit on it so far this year. It is one of the 3 jujube trees with fruit so far, which is saying something, as at casual count, I have 32 jujubes (not including those grafted or planted this year) at my house.

I got a few fruits from it last year for the first time. This year it has a ton of buds on it, so I hope to get more fruits. I also have lots of mostly non-fruiting jujubes so it seems better than average for me.

We should probably be doing the GA3 treatments on the blooms, I did buy some GA3 but have not gotten around to using it.

… I just took a look now, I see a fair number of fruits on Xu Zhou. Right next to it is Honey Jar and it also has a lot. This tree is also in a new sunny spot unlike my older jujube stand. My old stand I could not find a single set fruit on despite it being covered with blooms.

1 Like

How many varieties do you have?
Are you going to sell jujube fruits?

GA3+ mono potassium phosphate is very effective on jujube tree.

4 Likes

Do you spray GA3 at bloom or before and how often?

That’s not an easy question. I had to consult my spreadsheets, then cross-index with my recent memory of what I’ve seen actually growing (especially regarding grafts).

From what I can tell, I have 26 varieties which make up the majority of a tree (ie purchased that way). Then, I’ve attempted to graft 46 additional varieties on. Many worked, but as Tippy said earlier in this thread, the mortality rate is high in the subsequent winter. As best as I recall, I have 28 of those 46 still growing. Which makes the grand total 54 varieties.

Here are the whole trees:
Alcalde #1
Autumn Beauty
Black Sea
Chico
Dai Bai Ling
Dragon
Fucuimi
GA 866
Honey Jar
Kongfucui (KFC)
Lang
Li
Massandra
Maya
Redlands
Russian #2
Sandia
Shanxi Li
Sherwood
Shihong
So
Sugar Cane
Tigertooth
Winter
Winter Delight
Xu Zhou

Often, I have several trees of the more common varieties, from several different nurseries. So there may actually be a few more variants in there. For example, I remember hearing about multiple Li. And I think there may be more than one So as well.

I’m not completely opposed, but production would need to massively expand, FIrst, we would need enough that I don’t need to buy jujubes. That means another 50+ pounds per year (on top of the 1-5 pounds I currently get). Then, my wife would probably want to give a bunch away to her Chinese friends. I know people at my work also wanted some. If we still had surplus after that, I could see approaching someone at the farmer’s market and seeing if he’d be willing to sell them for a cut.

But, I’d need a massive boost in productivity for that to happen. So far, I’ve been experimenting with the different varieties trying to find something which would be productive. So far, Bok Jo seems like the best answer. I also have a productive So, though the other So’s I’ve planted haven’t been. Same for the Honey Jar- the graft on the So is productive and the other Honey Jar I later planted haven’t been. This year, Xu Zhou and Tae Sang Wang are showing early promise.

So I’m quite interested in the GA3. In fact, I just ordered a bottle. Hopefully it won’t be too late to apply some next week when it arrives. Can you give some details on the concentration you use and how often and when you apply?

2 Likes

Dang, Bob, you could compete with Englands

1 Like

He gets a lot more production out of his. In fact, that’s where I got 40 pounds of jujube from last fall!

He also has a lot more space. Mine are pretty evenly between my 1/2 acre yard and a number of rental properties. I try to keep one of everything (half a Noah’s ark :slight_smile: ) in my yard and grow the spares in various other micro climates and conditions.

At full-bloom time, 10-20ppm+1.5teaspoon of monopotassium phosphate/gallon. I sprayed twice.

1 Like

Who at your home likes jujube so much?
My jujube trees are very young. The oldest is three years old. I think you can easily get 50lbs jujube fruit soon if you use 10-20ppmGA3 +1.5 teaspoon of mono potassium phosphate/gallon at full blooming time.
0nly10-20ppm GA3 also works.
Jujube trees like fertilizer. You need feed them pretty often.

3 Likes

Everyone. If they are good, I like them a lot. Even if they are bad (spongy, not that sweet ones from the Chinese grocery), my wife likes them. I think both kids would agree more with me. So, all 4 of us like them. In fact, if I was getting excess, I would probably dedicate some significant garage fridge space to keeping some for the winter. I remember hearing about some special bags from one of the guys at the farmer’s market which extended the life of apples and pears (I seem to recall that it had selective permeability and simulated CA (Controlled Atmosphere)), which I’d need to get. In fact, maybe I should anyway, even if I need to buy the jujus from Cliff.

I’ve given them delayed release fertilizer several times this year, so hopefully I’m meeting their needs on that front. But, I will make sure to refresh it again.

Thanks!

I was checking out the trees again tonight (in between rain showers) and noticed a few fruitlets on the big So, a Russia #4 graft, and one of the Honey Jars and a second Shanxi Li (which has never had fruit before on that tree). So, it seems like fruit-set is proceeding, even with all the rain.

I noticed a lot of fully closed flowers, so I may have enough time to get the GA3 here before bloom is done.

A couple questions:

1.) Is the action systemic to the plant, or is it a localized effect? I need to consider how widely I plan to treat the trees. Given that some will likely set on their own, I can’t assume that all further sets are from GA3. If it is localized, the obvious answer would be to spray one branch on a number of trees and tag it. Then, see if the tagged branches out-produce the rest.

2.) How long does it take to absorb? Is there a minimum time to spray before rain?

15 of my trees are in their 5th year (planted spring 2016 or before), so they should be getting mature enough to start production. Regrettably, a few (particularly those from OGW) take a long time to size up, so only about 10 of those 15 are decent sized. But, if GA3 works, I’d be pretty happy with what fruit they could hold. Even if I have to stake them better :slight_smile:

Thanks- any others which seem to be setting? As I recall, you are also trialling a number of varieties.

How does the 10-15 ppm compare to the literature you have seen? I saw a paper where GA3 at 10 PPM was used (successfully) to increase fruit-set for pomegranates.

This paper mentions BR-481 working even better than GA3, but I haven’t been able to find out more yet.

https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=CN2013000407

Here’s an interesting one, but everything other than the data and the abstract is in Iranian (I think). It seems to say the more the better (up to 80 ppm).

But, I think I recall reading that using too high a concentration can result in some bad things.

I also saw a higher concentration being used to preserve them post-harvest, but I think I’d be much more adverse to spraying the ripe fruit, than the blooms. Especially at higher concentrations.

One other note- the percent improvement with GA3 seems to be anywhere from 13% to 77%. But, I’m hoping that GA3 has a bigger impact on non-productive trees. If it improves the yield from 2 fruits to 3 (50% improvement), I won’t be impressed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sophia,
Wheree did you buy your GA3 from? Any particular website?

My friend shared some with me. He bought from Amazon.

1 Like

It got here today, but before running out and spraying some, I checked further into the concentration.

Wow is that stuff difficult to get to the right level.

Of note:

1g of GA3 at 90% concentration will be supplied as a powder in a small ziplock bag, sufficient quantity to make 2 liters of solution at 500 ppm.

That means that to get to 20ppm, I would need to be able to accurately measure one gram (I think that is the smallest unit on my scale, so it probably isn’t that accurate) and then mix it with 50 liters of water.

The GA3 needs to be applied in early morning before sunrise if possible. Bright sunlight will effect GA3, making it less effective or destroying its effect completely.

OK- I wouldn’t have guessed that time…In fact, the only way I am doing something before sunrise is if I stay up a bit late.

Only mix what you’re going to use that day. The powder can spoil in high heat and will only last about one week once mixed.

OK- there went my other plan. I was thinking that if I managed to get the concentration right, I would just keep using it for the next 10 years, to ensure that I was consistant. But, it sounds like it needs to be mixed fresh.

add a few drops of rubbing alcohol…90% GA3 powder will not dissolve in water.
Hmm…let’s make this a bit harder.

I think the biggest issue for me is the measurement. What is the best way to measure 0.1g of something? I’m thinking about making a concentrated solution, then doing a series of dilutions using a graduated 10ml syringe. It is pretty wasteful though to mix up 2L of solution, to toss 96% of it away. Long term, I probably need to buy a better scale.

2 Likes

Bob,
Thanks for posting this. It is more complicated than I thought. I wonder if @Sophia2017 added rubbing alcohol in her solution.