Anyone ever buy from Burgess?

Has anyone ever bought anything from Burgess? I placed an order almost a month ago and have only received two items. Even stranger I’ve tried to call 20 times and it is busy every time! I did get an email two weeks ago, but nothing since.
Anyone else having trouble with them???

1 Like

Burgess has a terrible reputation among many people. I got some hybrid poplars from them years ago, the stock was as promised and grew well. However, I wouldn’t use them for anything I’d consider “important”…fruit trees, berry bushes, perennial flowers, etc.

Good luck, hope they fulfill your order

Hope it’s okay for me to link to the Garden Watchdog

2 Likes

Yep! I got all my stuff. It took quite a while. All the strawberries took, but the 2 serviceberries died.

Thanks…I’ll try to cancel and order somewhere else.

Yep, my first order was with them. Good prices, but they send things whenever they like and the plants are barely more than rooted twigs, sometimes dead. The customer service folks generally don’t know anything about the plants, so if you get through to them good luck finding any information about rootstock, varieties, etc. beyond what you can read in their catalog. Some of the things they sent survived ok, some did not. They do replace for up to 1 year if you keep the packaging the things come in (the parts with writing and bar codes and whatnot). You’ll be better off going through somebody else if you can, but if not be sure to keep the packaging, even for seeds. You may need it.

Also, I ordered 5 different grape plants from them, all were labled, all turned out to be concords… which I had not ordered any of. So don’t count on them for reliability with stock.

2 Likes

i’d rather go to the dentist than order from them again

2 Likes

Avoid at all costs.

1 Like

They might be okay if you are ordering seed but I would caution ordering plants from them.

1 Like

Root canal without any novacaine would be better!!

1 Like

Good point. I tried their plants with very little success rate. I knew what I would be getting. I wasn’t surprised but was disappointed that their plant quality has not improved since the 70’s. That was when I last ordered from them.

Make sure the other places you order from are not “sister” companies that have the same type products just under a different nursery company label.