Anyone ever do Hubbard squash?

Just planted some Hubbard squash. No idea what to expect. Vines? Bush? Recipes?

1 Like

Managable vines…very hard squash.

1 Like

Need more info; there are several sub-varieties of Hubbard squash. The original full-sized blue Hubbard can go over 10 pounds and has very long vines.

2 Likes

I think it is original. Says 10 to 15 pounds

We grew blue Hubbard for years. They are a favorite of squash vine borers. We injected thuricide into the stems for that problem then sprayed Tempo once as month at sundown for the squash bugs. Got to be too much hassle so we quit growing them. We used them for pumpkin pie. They stored well in our basement pantry.

1 Like

Our vines reach 35 feet here and they are tall too. Squash get up to 40 lbs easy. They make great soup, baked goods or are tasty just baked and eaten with a bit of butter. Keep well too. Blue Hubbard are the sort that have done the best for us.

2 Likes

You have trouble with borer that others complain about?

I really don’t know. We usually have regular squash bugs we just hunt down and kill.

I remember losing some vines years ago to a kind of disease that made them rot off at the base. Frothy juicy mess.

1 Like

I planted one in container last year because i read that it should work as cucumber beetles magnet. There was no a single beetle on it whole season long. Got two fruit from it. It was planted in 50g barrel, no care given, 4 vines got down from the top of the barrel and spread about 6’-8’ all directions. It was in somewhat shady location and still performed. Still have the fruit stored at room temperature.

2 Likes