Anyone finding mushrooms?

I’m finding winecaps we planted(?) in spring. I thought they were duds and weren’t going to come up. Something has been getting to them though- the area they are sprouting in has been dug up. There’s been a possum around at night, I wonder if they eat mushrooms.

1 Like

Interesting. We have loads of possums and every other critter, but nothing really bothers the wine caps. They get bug infested in warmer weather, though. Everything is local. My uncle has deer devour pumpkins, but our deer won’t touch pumpkins.

It could just be my chickens making a mess of things as they’re so good at. They may not be targeting the mushrooms and eating them but just scratching.

Hens/Maitake are going strong in southern Michigan. I always find them on old oaks.

8 Likes

Oyster mushrooms keep popping out of a magnolia stump that was cut 3 years ago.

8 Likes

I cut down an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry, well down to about 14 inches, and have 3 good heavy logs. Each one is 8-10 inches in diameter (it was a very healthy happy tree) and 3-4 feet long.

I went into Detroit looking for the mushroom people at Eastern Market, hoping to find dowel spawn. Sadly the first employee I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. Another employee came over and said they normally only have straw spawn but don’t bother making or bringing any except in spring.

Anyone ever grow mushrooms in mulberry? My thought was oyster mushrooms, but only because these seem to be the easiest to source… I haven’t seen dowel spawn anywhere but online, though.

Scott

I don’t know what would grow on mulberry, but I know the wood is very dense. It makes great wood for turning on the lathe, knobs, small handles, etc… Oyster mushrooms usually grow on softer woods, but I have heard of some success with oysters on mulberry.

2 Likes

Sure is dense. I was shocked just how heavy a 3 foot section turned out to be. I had to have my son give me a hand with the longest piece.

I can tell you it splits well (back when I did that, not so much now that my fireplace needs work) for about a month. After that it is a pain in the …

Scott

1 Like

There’s a mulberry across the street from my house with wild oysters growing on it.

1 Like

everything mushrooms, mushroom mountain and field and forest carry all kinds of spawn. the denser the wood, the longer you will get shrooms but it may take a year or longer before you get your 1st. flush. theres plenty of info on those sites .it think one has a chart to tell you what types spawn to use on what type of wood.

I cook young poke and don’t pour off the water (but I always mix it with other greens such as mustards or dandelions). Yummy…probably will have to wait until spring for some.
Mustard and kale will have to do I guess

1 Like

I have a mushroom book/guide, but have never actually went mushroom hunting with it in hand. Might do that now that the busy season is over.

Morels are the best.
The “brains” always looked tempting, but I could determine they weren’t morels as a youngster.

1 Like

I had a friend show me where to get them on his property. He told me that he always finds them at the base of oak trees. His oaks are near swampy wetlands. I’m not sure of the positive identifiers of that mushroom. He gets lots of them and shares them with me. They are great for eating. Those grey ones look like it but I am not certain.

2 Likes

Why wait for fall. We should rename this thread.

On Vacation last week in FL when I spoted this Reishi out the window. I dried in in the oven on convection for a few hours and brought it back to nj with me.

2 Likes

The thread has been renamed. Happy mushroom hunting!

1 Like

Just picked a nice haul of chanterelles in S.W. Pennsylvania.

13 Likes

Picked a batch of chanterelles to go with supper tonight. Saw plenty more out there… will be going back tomorrow.

4 Likes

I need to get out and take a look. We’ve had oodles of rain, so it’s probably go time.

1 Like

Yep. We’d been dry, but a rsiny weekend had 'em popping!

3 Likes

Today’s haul.
Kate The Wonder Dog and I took a stroll through the woods. Found a few indigo milkcaps, in addition to a bunch of chanterelles.

We’ve been having sauteed chants as a side dish at every evening meal all week.

8 Likes