Anyone finding mushrooms?

@39thparallel
Mike and I spent half the day in the woods checking the ripeness and the numbers of various patches of pawpaw. We found a few fungi while out and thought it would be great to post pictures. Mike must have found at least 10 different types of fall fungi. Think that’s a turkey tail he has in the photo. Before we know it spring will be here and I will be back to finding morels which I know much more about http://www.growingfruit.org/t/morels-will-be-popping-soon/9677

2 Likes

From my bathroom window I spotted a patch of orange in the forest behind my house. This is a chicken of the woods. I am looking forward to Harvesting it.

My original find Oct 8th 2016. Off the 295 Beltway near Fort Meade MD

GPS 39.13132, -76.7605

4 Likes

@lordkiwi
You will be eating good! Those look delicious!

1 Like

The only question is when to harvest. I dont want them to get woody but I dont know how big they will get.

1 Like

he answer to my question was yesterday the day the photo was taken. The stems where starting to get woody. And today there was a swarm of fungus nats. But there was still plenty of good mushroom and it was good.

5 Likes

In front of my neighbors house. I could smell it from the street. Don’t get to excited its a poisonous Jack o lantern.

4 Likes

Boletes Time (Boletus Subglabripes)
North Woods, Wi.

5 Likes

Chanterelles time

7 Likes

I took my family out in the local woods and this is about half of what we found in an hour.

3 Likes

At ease disease there is a fungus among us! I haven’t had time to forage but a friend I am building a garage with gave a few of us some hen of the woods today. This is my first one. It tasted really good! I have been growing shitakii and harvesting lots of those. he said his woods is full of these and he left a bunch out there too.

3 Likes

Rain earlier this week. Puffballs have popped up everywhere

1 Like

My friend collected more hen of the woods and asked if I wanted one. I told him no because I still had to eat the first one. I cooked it tonight with butter and garlic and served it with chicken breast with melted swiss. It was nice and tender, and delicious. I called him and told him to show me how to find them. The one he had in the back of his truck was huge! It was about one foot wide. We have been getting lots of rain so the mushrooms are popping. I want to go out tomorrow and hunt for them.

2 Likes

I find my mushrooms at Frazier Farms market. Totally jealous of the wild crops!

2 Likes

Here is a little more information about the medicinal turkey tail mushroom shown above

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9RcvrUw64

2 Likes

only turkey tails attack my apple or pear stumps. a really hardy fungus.

1 Like

found a bunch of blewits and my 1st puffball ever! blewitts are everywhere under the spruces this year. big ones too! got about 5lbs from 2 spots. going to mix the stems in my compost piles to get more to come up in the yard.

1 Like

I went out today and found a few. Ones a hen of the woods and the orange one is chicken of the woods

5 Likes

What tree species did you find them on?

1 Like

The hen of the woods is found on the base of big red oak trees mostly by wetlands but could be found in dryer areas. It’s just harder to find them. The chicken of the woods was on a 16" diameter oak tree that was dead. These were found on a hogs back in swampland about twenty foot from the water.

2 Likes

Found some chanterelles

5 Likes