Anyone grow buffalo berry?

i have 4 of these bushes coming in soon. some i plan to put on my property. the others on a property i manage. related to autumn oilive and goumi berry. anyone grow these? imagine they have same growth parameters as their relatives. supposed to be very drought tolerant.

2 Likes

They are very drought tolerant. Mine bloom but don’t produce many berries. I have a row of 8 or so growing together…I’ve grown them for many years so the bushes are 7 feet tall and full grown.

1 Like

i have 5 that came from 2 different nurseries. all are about 2’ft. i have them on poor thin soil mulched with in inverted

turf to conserve water. all are leafing out now.

1 Like

How did this project turn out @moose71. I have all males or females and need to get to the botyom of things and graft one over to find out. Any fruit yet?

the guy that gave me permission to plant on his property got thrown in jail for selling agricultural secrets to china. he’s in jail in FL . i never went back there to check on them. id like to get some more some day to give them a try again. just put in 3 named cultivars of A.O i got from fruitwoodnursery.com as rooted cuttings. not buffalo berries but distant cousins.

2 Likes

Im all about growing nitrogen fixers. Seaberry will not grow here.

1 Like

i had a few and they grew well but the berries were a royal pain to get off the bushes so i chopped them.

1 Like

I wish you still had them. To get the berries,wait until they freeze then throw down tarps and beat the bush. They do it in Nebraska like that.

1 Like

they weren’t in a good spot either and i would get scratched up trying to mow around them. maybe someday i may try them again.

1 Like