Anyone grow Muscadines?

My opinion is the same as yours. My plants appear to grow out faster and seem to be less in need of water the next year when planted going into the winter. Those look like a good selection of muscadines. I have Lane, Black Beauty, Supreme, Hall and Southern Home. I probably won’t add any more varieties in fact I might remove Southern Home as the others get going.

1 Like

I’ll check under my vines on the chance there is a rooted Big Red sprout.

Just my opinion, but I have grown Sweet Jenny and Sugargate in the past. I would grow Supreme instead of Sugargate and Late Fry instead of Sweet Jenny.

I’m planning to remove a Darlene and replace with Paulk.

http://muscadines.caes.uga.edu/cultivars/fresh-market-cultivars.html

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. I have Supreme planted.

Edit: I have Late Fry planted too.

Thanks for checking on the Big Red.

Why are you removing, lack of production?

Yes, because Darlene is very low in production compared to Ison, Big Red, and others.

1 Like

My Darlene is nearly as productive as Ison which it is right next to. Supreme, Black Beauty, and Sugargate are all currently producing much less than Darlene. They were all planted six years ago.

Unfortunately this year the groundhog (I expect) got all of my Darlenes. All the skins are on the ground right below.

1 Like

I thought I heard you mention good productivity out of Darlene. I have mine planted in a challenging spot. It will be interesting to see how the flavor of my 19 cultivars turn out–I forgot I did order Black Beauty this year too. The soil on our property is unique for most of South GA. We have mostly clay–red, grey, white. A lot of the property is rocky, which makes for poor row cropping. We are surrounded by hunting plantations where Verizon doesn’t have a chance. A slice of heaven if you ask me

1 Like

I am glad I see this. I was wondering about Sugargate and Sweet Jenny. I already have Supreme and Late Fry. I have limited space so thank you for putting my mind at ease. I just planted Rosa, Scarlett, Lane, Hall and supreme. Do you have any opinions on any of those? My current favorites after 5 years are Black Beauty (#1), Late Fry and Darlene. Are anything I listed above taste as good especially Supreme?

Anyone try Oh My! Seedless Grape? https://m.gurneys.com/product/oh_my_seedless_grape

Very pricey.

Also, how is the flavor of Fry Seedless?

3 Likes

Since I used this thread to pick out my muscadines varites, I figure I will ask my muscadine questions here…
So my order just arrived from Isons. My planting areas won’t be ready for a few weeks. How should I best store them? In a big pot with soil or in the gel they came in.

Also anyone try any unconventional spacing/trellising?
How mush space do the roots actually take up? I was thinking of planting them close together and then trellising two arms up a pergola that would be over my deck. I bought 5, but think I could only fit 2 or 3 on a pergola. For the others I am going to have to do some creative overlapping trellising by a back fence.

There is a good chance I may not be able to get good fruit here with my cool summers, but since I am from Georgia, I have to try. Maybe some greenhouse plastic over them in the summer would recreate GA weather.

I am in Georgia. My muscadine are breaking dormancy now. Personally, I would store them in individual 3 gallon pots. In fact, If you have poor soil like I do, it may not be a bad idea to grow them out in a pot (3-5) gallon for most of the growing season. For me, summer is never a good time to plant.

Muscadine and their roots can take up an enormous amount of space, but they can be controlled through pruning.

1 Like

OMG is that one plant! What is the diameter of that beast? I hope it is zoomed in!
Thanks, I will put them in pots for now.

Here in CA, we have really good soil. I remember trying to plant things in Georgia… ugh that red clay! Like digging in cement!
My summer’s cool… more like spring time in GA, so planting in summer may not matter so much here. I really hope I can get some fruit, but I really need to keep the plants small somehow… That one looks so huge!
How much fruit do you get off it?

Trellis any way you like. Just remember that muscadines require very heavy yearly pruning to maintain production and keep the vines healthy.

2 Likes

Muscadines will cover and shade a pergola but they will be more difficult to give the annual pruning required for best yearly production. Picking the fruit is also more difficult. I have many great memories of sitting under a big arbor eating fruit from the vines. The vine trunk will get huge but that will be several years down the road (just guessing that the vine pictured could be 25-100 years old). Hope they grow well in your area. Bill

1 Like

Not my image. I just Googled the pic.

1 Like

That is the famous “mother vine” on Roanoke Island NC:

https://www.ourstate.com/mother-vine/

http://nc-culture.com/the-mother-vine-of-roanoke-island-3-29-13/

2 Likes

I just found this site. Thanks for the heads up Fusion_power ! I’m in central Alabama. My Darlene is ripe first and taste the best by far to me. Birds and other critters get most of my other later varieties which are Supreme , Pam and Dixie Red. I can’t wait to try the new Seedless varieties, TTom

1 Like

Dr. Conner used this image in his presentation. He went into a bit of detail.

I’m really glad that picture is not a normal muscadine. I’ll probably plant them 3’-4’ apart and grow them up a pergola… I am fine with pruning and climbing a stool to prune. I don’t have space to grow them anywhere but up.
Anyone know if you can eat Muscadine leaves like you can regular grape leaves?

1 Like