Anyone growing Titan blueberries?

Last year mine were not very good but attributed that to drought and transplant shock. This year is about the same, tough skin and bad taste. I will let then ripen more to see if that helps.

1 Like

I planted three last year, Two died but the one that made it looks good. Very large fruit

1 Like

What is the taste like?

I’m curious as well.

Anymore reviews on this one?

Mine are just about done and I am pretty disappointed. Size is the only thing going for them and they are not that much bigger than my other blueberries.

Harvested my first Titans this year, I’m impressed. Here’s a picture next to my other ripening rabbiteyes- Alapahas, Premier, Tifblue, Climax, and I think Woodard. All rabbiteyes taste about the same to me, which is good when ripe. Rabbiteyes in my location taste a lot better if they hang in the bushes until they can be pulled from the bush with very little effort. This picking time is several days after they reach their final color.
IMG_20180613_091428

3 Likes

I almost pulled mine up last year but really glad I didn’t. You are right you have to wait until they’re black and almost fall off on their own. If picked too early they are sour and have a tough skin. Mine are really good this year plus they seem to handle the frost better than my other varieties.

3 Likes

That certainly matches my experience, which took several seasons to figure out. Is this well known about rabbiteyes, or is this something that is only happening to us? I have looked at some of the literature and never seen it mentioned, and when I look at pictures of ripe rabbiteyes they often don’t look as dark as mine need to be.

1 Like

So far (third year) Titan has been very unproductive…but I’ll give it more time. I have about ten different rabbiteye cultivars (some I have been growing for over thirty years), but ‘Tiffblue" has been the most productive. The patent ran out on ‘Tiffblue’ so the University of Florida’ came up with a deceptive problem with ‘Tiffblue’, claiming in excessive rainy periods their berries had a tendency to split…So they developed ‘Powderblue’ as a replacement. ‘Powderblue’ has beautiful foliage but hasn’t been as productive as ‘Tiffblue’ in my blueberry garden. We had the most rain this year I have ever seen during blueberry harvest, and I haven’t seen one split ‘Tiffblue’ berry.

Actually, I am in error (I should never trust my memory)…‘Powderblue’ was “released jointly by North Carolina State University and the United States Department of Agriculture”.

Which one is sweetest?

1 Like

I can’t tell a difference. Rather, they taste very slightly different but I don’t have a preference. They are all good when dead ripe, and I very rarely get to taste any of them that way because of the ravenous birds.

1 Like