Anyone here speak french?

oh yeah, Navajo it was. Just one more instance of strength with diversity of allies. An all for one and one for all.

You’ll be disappointed. These are only genetalities.
We only talk about the “lang” variety.
It said that the flowers and the fruit are fragrant.
That this tree is resistant to cold and dryness. Which grows in all soils but does not like heavry soil watterlogged winter.

the brits say we speak American not english. :wink:

Thanks @Arhus76 . But not disappointed at all, considering that the frenchman has the same sentiments and observations about jujus(as you and @mrsg47 translated) as i do. I should find that french website featuring contorted jujus sooner or later :slightly_smiling_face:

lol! and more funny that we often say that they have a ‘british accent’

2 Likes

He’s talking about regular jujube, in my understanding. Talking about it’s perfume/fragrance. In france, blooms end of may, beginning of june. Nice autumn color (golden/yellow). This one (Lang) has small spikes. Likes to grow under the same conditions as a fig tree. Protect the plant when young. This one is self-fertile. Nothing on contorted jujube. (5 minutes video… lol)

3 Likes

Yes, and when you live with a Brit you get daily observations of how we Americans have bastardized (sorry, but he says that is the right word) the english language. I just tell him “when in Rome…”

I admire the fact that other countries even though they have their own native language the people have learned English. I do realize that multilingual continents have such close proximity to their different borders that is much easier to be exposed to another language. I really enjoy this forum that has so much multicultural input.

Katy

1 Like

There is a topic “jujubier” in the forum “greffer.net

1 Like

Yup. English (and its constantly evolving variants such as “Spanglish”) are the new lingua franca …

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional input @jessica4b . Really helpful that we have multi-lingual audience/correspondents here. Apart from broadening one’s perspectives. As for lang being self-fertile, that is one more thing that intrigues. Lang is supposedly not self-fertile, and may even be a stingy producer even with multi-pollinators. Then again, there are several lang -types of juju cultivars(pear-shaped), so it is possible that in France, lang goes by a doppelganger, or perhaps theirs is in fact, the right kind of lang, considering the continental connection via silk route a couple thousand years ago. And the big-fruited french contorted juju may just be the ‘original’ contorted after all. We only started growing jujus in considerable numbers in usa the past hundred years or so, whereas the stradivari luthier enterprise was already using chinese jujube wood for their violins during the 1600’s.

nice site! They even mentioned Mr Meyer and England’s as two of the juju importers to usa.
and so cool to learn that pawpaws are called ‘asiminiers’ in french, which is of course a reference to the genus of pawpaw: Asimina

you’d find it funny that in the philippines, there are too many islands, and each island may have a totally different dialect from the next island just 20 miles away, and if you are from a distant island, you’re better off speaking to each other in english, because it is almost impossible to communicate in one’s native language. Thus said, the two islanders are both citizens of the philippines, but would find it easier to speak in a foreign language which happens to be english. I guess it helps that there are too many mcdonald’s fastfood franchises in that country, perhaps more per sq. mile than in usa :grin:

1 Like

Let me look for you!

I have written to the largest and most competent nursery near my town in France. Sent them an email today. I hope to hear tomorrow about your site or information from them.

1 Like

whoah @mrsg47 !

didn’t know you’re in France. I feel so lucky – and spoiled rotten…

you didn’t have to do that, but big thanks to you!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Not 100% he said “Lang”: I heard “Langue”… that would translate to “tongue”, haha.

well i learned something new today!

instead of mother tongue, i could put a french spin and say ‘mother langue’
and evidently the root word of ‘language’, and perhaps language is itself french

i re-viewed the video and thought i saw the juju specimen fairly legibly labeled as ‘lang’, so i think you’re right :slightly_smiling_face:

incidentally @mrsg47, does Vaucluse sound familiar to you? Jujus are widely grown there, they say

1 Like

Right next door , 15/20 minutes away.

1 Like

I am 10 minutes from the Provence border.

In this video “lang”, not langue:souriant:

1 Like

feels like i won the lottery-- a french connection/insider! :grin:

hope you’d continue to liaise and post more communique’s

and if this were facebook, already clicked the ‘friend’ button, hahaha

1 Like