Anyone use BotaniGard

I was thinking of trying it for control of white flies (mostly and some aphids) in the greenhouse, and was curious to hear how it has worked for others. Also, anyone know of a seller making this available in smaller sized packages?

BotaniGard is available in at least 3 formulations (concentrations): “ES”, “MAXX”, and “22WP”. Despite the name it is not a human- or environmentally-friendly product. Read the label before buying and definitely follow the PPE instructions should you decide to use it. Here’s some links: BotaniGard label - Google Search

Yes ,I use Botanigard in a high tunnel .
Mostly for control of white fly , also aphids ,and other insects.
Works best with high humidity , so I spray water late in the day ,and seal up tunnel, spray botanigard, befor dark.
Slow to act, usually takes 3 sprays at a week interval to knock back white flys.
Does not eliminate them ,but helps keep them in check, along with neem oil.
More friendly to benificial insects.
Don’t know of a source of smaller size.

Thanks @Hillbillyhort. I take it you found it at least moderately effective to keep using it. I need to do some more research, especially about how it may effect honey bees (my bees are all over the GH especially now when outside is still snow covered and there are open flowers in the GH).

@Richard, I did take a quick look but did not see anything too noxious about this product. At least no more so than any other biological with live spores. I am curious what troubled you about it. Also have not seen anything yet as to what other species it might kill (like earthworms, and micro-arthropods).

When I read the Cautions section a number of red flags went up.

If it is a requirement for you to use organic then I’d suggest Spinosad, otherwise switch to an efficient conventional.

Which cautions caught your eye, just curious?

I did not think Spinosad (which I already have and could use) was all that effective against white flies and aphids ( as with most of the toxin based insecticides).

Then I’d conclude you did not follow directions.

No I see it is listed, and would work to some extent on a large outbreak. But there are a considerable number of reports that it provides only short term release at best for these insects.

Make no mistake, BotaniGard is a toxin.

Very true – as stated in the directions for pests of interest.

Now if you’re concerned with having to make multiple applications then look at conventional controls for these pests.

As of this post I’m no longer reading this thread.

Botanigard , is not a toxin ,
It is a fungus that lives on and kills insects.
White flys here are resistant to most insecticides.
Botanigard, helps keep them in check
Along with forceful water sprays,neem oil, and horticultural oil.

1 Like

I understand (I think :grinning:).

The main concern I have is its toxicity to honey bees (and maybe a much more minor concern that this fungus finds human sinuses a great place to grow or something like that which is yet undiscovered). There seem to be mixed messages about its effect on honey bees. The manufacture states it may be toxic to honey bees. Yet in other bulletins, UMN suggested using it as an alternative method for controlling white flies instead of more bee toxic insecticides.

I suspect this means that there just isn’t enough data or studies yet on its effects on bees. I’ll do some checking on the bee forums I am on, but I may just have to wait for the tests or reports to come in.

BotaniGard seems to a potentially potent insecticide, and would appear to be just what I need for the GH, except for its potential to wipe out my bee hives.

Well it’s several months later and thought I would update:

I did purchase and start using Botanigard in my GHs. The bees stopped coming into the GHs as soon as there were some flowers outside for them (which wasn’t the case back in Feb). And as others have stated the white flies seem to be immune to most of the insecticides I am willing to use.

I can report that Botanigard works pretty well in eliminating white flies (and aphids) from the GH. I initially used it twice a week, but after a couple weeks of that once a week seems to keep the WFs under control. There are a few spots (a very dense cuke plant) where control and probably spray too has not been complete, but compared to a typical year where I am using other insecticides several times a week with limited effect, botanigard has been great. I can’t recall a year where WFs and aphids have been so scarce. It also does not have any long lasting effect, in that if I skip a week of spray I start noticing the WF populations coming back.

Not sure how well it would work outdoors, but in enclosed areas it seems great, if somewhat expensive.

3 Likes

Good to hear.
My strategy is to irrigate late in the day , so the leafs are damp toward evening on the days I spray botanigard.
Spray late evening, as the sun can degrade the botanigard quickly.
I also dust with diotomacious earth that evening, as it scratches the " skin " of the insects, alowing entry of the fungus. As has been proven to increase the effectiveness

2 Likes