Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Red delicious was 12.7 oz. My chojuro was about a pound and 3 oz after I had taken several bites. Forgot to weigh.

Forgive me for my scale operator trouble :grin:

2 Likes

This week I tasted my very first Ambrosia from a graft. Here is the second of equal size. 7.3 oz.

Karen and I both agreed on a bubble gum taste, sweet, fruity. She said it reminded her of juicy fruit gum.

I like sweet so I thought it was good for fresh eating. A pretty pink color on an otherwise deep red Arkansas black apple tree.

6 Likes

Thank you very much. I will take up your offer.

1 Like

Which nursery selling Lucy Glo?

@Luisport
Your Rubinette shape almost like a donut. Mine is more cone shape.

Mine has paler color because it does not get full day sun.

2 Likes

It’s the first time they are fruiting… there are some fruits more round and others more donut. Do you think this is not rubinette?

1 Like

My Rubinette looks similar to this.

2 Likes

Wickson - so cute and very tasty.

9 Likes

Brandts fruit trees in Washington is who i delt with.

2 Likes

How many trees from Brandt that you ordere? Say, for Lucy Glo, do you send them $1 each year if you only bought one tree from them?

That’s interesting that they sell such specialty tree brands to backyard growers.

I ordered 5 lucy glo and 2 lucy rose. I havent started paying the royalties yet. I ordered the trees for spring and they say after the 3rd year they start the royalties at 1 dollar for each tree. I had to sign an agreement that i wouldnt sell or give any trees or scion wood away. I think it says i can sell the fruit at farmers markets, but if i wanted to sell to stores i had to get inspections. I figured I would at least be ahead of the game when the patent expires. Plus the trees were actually pretty cheap like 15 dollars each , so if i have to pay $1 a year, thats not much considering trees are around 60 dollars now.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten very nice growth from Rubaiyat grafted to B-10 this past spring. It and Mott’s Pink took off great. Niedzwetzkyana (from Trees of Antiquity in 2013) is probably the most precocious and also most vigorous to date though of the red fleshed apples I have. But, overall, the red fleshed are slow to grow and scions are thin.

2 Likes

The only exception I have seen is niedzwetzkyana. It has grown three or four feet annually and the branch has grown quite thick in two years. I have an odysso graft on the same tree which is still less than a foot long and still quite wispy despite tip pruning over several years.

2 Likes

Last 2 Ginger Gold picked today, 9/29/2022, frost forecast for tonight. This has become one of my favorites, this tree is at the house and the graft was added to a wild seedling. This is its second year fruiting, the tree has proven precocious even on this wild seedling, the fruit are large, and disease management hasn’t been difficult. Only got 4 fruit this year, hope this tree bears more heavily next year.

10 Likes

I really like the prominent ribs on the apple! I admire them on my red delicious too.

Apples of Uncommon Character notes that while some think it’s named Ginger Gold for it’s taste, it’s actually named after Ginger Harvey from Virginia whose husband discovered it. Regardless, I have a graft and I’m hoping to duplicate your results. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

i had these for the 1st time this year and really like them. might have to bug you guys for a few scions next spring.

2 Likes

I ate the apple around 1982 or 40 years ago. Did see a bag at IGA grocery, but passed them up.

1 Like

they had them for the 1st time at our local shop n’ save. saw they were from NY so reasonably fresh. made a apple pie with them and it was a hit at my brothers.

1 Like

The tree at the house is quite large, and I have several grafts for the orchard. Just let me know if you want scion. I don’t do winter pruning until Feb / March.

2 Likes

Our first real Ladies Sweeting harvest. Two apples. Last year, our first, we also picked two apples, but they tasted off. This year the taste is bright and sweet, but right off the tree not as sweet as I was expecting. Enjoyed it more than the post-Gala sweet varieties.

7 Likes