Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Thank you for the offer mamuang. If it still works out, 14 months from now may be better.

Sure. If you or your family like sweet and aromatic apples, you will like it.

Are you moving?

Love Fuji…it was one of the first apples I planted at my new place in 1991. And I planted another about 3 years ago that hasn’t cropped yet.

2 Likes

Not moving. But I have some rootstocks that won’t be ready for grafting this spring and already more garden/orchard tasks lined up than I’ll probably have time for. I’m afraid if you send me scions this year, they may languish in the fridge.

1 Like

I like Fuji but not as much as I used to. The more I have opportunities to taste other apples with more complex taste, flavor and aromatic (also better texture), Fuji has moved further down the list. It does not make my top ten.

My Rubinette, Hoople’s Antique Gold, Ashmead’s Kernel, Golden Russet, Suncrisp, Gold Rush, Orin, etc. taste better than my Fuji, IMHO.

4 Likes

This year is the second year of Rubaiyat fruiting. Last year it tasted awful, very tart and nothing else. This year, I let them hang until now. Its taste has improved. Brix was 13, not that sweet but not tart, either. Texture was firm.

My daughter said it tasted “bizarre”. (she probably did not like the look of red flesh appleI to begin with). I thought it tasted a bit “fermented” but hubby did not detect that and said it tasted “fine”.

It is a small apple that needs a long hanging time in my zone 6a. I hope the taste will get better next year. It sure has pretty flesh.

@

13 Likes

It’s not calling my name yet!

1 Like

I grafted it, and it languished 2 years and died. Perhaps my neglect, or perhaps not as vigorous and healthy as the other 100 or so apples I grafted that didn’t die.

Girly: I planted Ashmead’s Kernel as one of the first three apple trees I tried. In my case (north slope of Spokane, WA; sand; very low humidity; temps 80-100° July & August) The tree was very slow to come into bearing, produced lots of blind wood (few to no fruiting buds or branching) & appears to have frost tender blossoms. What few fruits I ate were small, very tasty, more tart than sweet at picking. Being triploid, you need two other pollen sources in order to get fruit from all your apple varieties. (And part of why I got three varieties to begin with.)

Because Rosemary Russet has been compared to AK, I grafted that a couple years ago. I should get samples next year for the first time.

Because you asked to compare AK to Fuji: AK averages a third smaller, has denser flesh at picking; several times more tartness; more resistance to the tooth and chewier; might have comparable juiciness provided right conditions (dependent upon stock, soil richness, depth of mulch, regular deep weekly watering; amount of wind); russet is nearly complete so it is rough to the touch; stem is short and thick.
BTW, I got first samples of Lamb Abbey & Gold Rush this year. Both trees and their fruit are much easier to husband than AK. Both have loads of flavor and juice, too.

3 Likes

In my yard, Ashmead won the best tasting by amateurs/general public apple eating people (aka my friends). AK is more complex and interesting, both taste and texture. Fuji is just another sweet apple, to me.

So, no comparison. I gratfed Rosemary Ruseet somewhere but my tags have been rather mixed up, unfortunately.

1 Like

Epi Etoile apples… This year they are not pretty but smell wonderful and flavor is very nice too

11 Likes

My Gold Rush, picked most today, 11/17/20. Left about 10 on the tree for 21 F on 11/19 morning. I’d like to see if they will freeze.

22 Likes

WOW they are very beautifull, and they are a lot! Congratulations! :+1:

1 Like

Can these be Epi Etoile?

Two fruit from the same graft. One is very clean. The other is covered with sooty blotch.

@SMC_zone6 , you have Epi Eoile, too, right? What do you think?

7 Likes

They are Epi Etoile… Congratulations!
:+1:

1 Like

I only got a few fruits this year, and mine looked more like your sooty one. I just rubbed that off and ate them straight from the tree. But I should have stored some in the fridge for a few weeks to mellow. Congrats though. Your one on the left looks perfect and really took on that uniquely starred shape!

1 Like

I think I got the scionwood from you. Thank you very much.

I got the varieties mixed up badly in 2017. This one was under a tag that said Fameuse!!!

2 Likes

@jessica4b,
This is a typical year of growing Gold Rush. Even picking on Nov 17. I cut up one this morning. It was one of a yellower one. It still was not quite ripe judging from the color of seeds.

I love the look of apples still on the tree with no leaves. Your kinda look like yellow persimmons.

1 Like

Ooh, I’m staying tuned :slight_smile: Let’s hear more about it when you try them.

1 Like