Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

A few more dropped and/or picked yesterday.

19 Likes

Beautiful fruit. I have Rubaiyat also. Here it is a very fine line between optimal ripeness and mealy.
Some years it’s great, some terrible. I had no crop this year due to late freeze.
Hope yours are good this year.

2 Likes

@ribs1,
This was my 2nd year of fruiting Rubaiyat. Last year I was not impressed. It was too tart to me. I am not a fan of tart fruit. I hope its flavor improved this year. I will keep them in a fridge for a week to see if they will mellow down.

Rubaiyet was grafted on top of the tree. The graft grows too tall for me to reach and bag (could only bag a couple). Found out that almost all got damaged by one bug or another, etc 95% of them.

1 Like

Rubaiyat is a tough one for me to grow too. Seems to attract bugs more than other varieties and scab.

1 Like

I like the taste of this one, it is crisp with a good balance of tartness and sweet.

14 Likes

Name correction.

12 Likes

My new apple, Orin. It is a Japanese apple. Although it set a lot of fruit, they still maintain quite a good size. Sweet and aromatic with firm texture. It does have a hint pear and pineapple like its description says. I think those who like sweet and aromatic apples will like it. Kids will like it for sure.

It is a late apple for me. They just started to drop. The seeds were not quite dark yet. Riper ones should have pale yellow skin. Still, these greener ones tasted really pleasant.

12 Likes

Caney fork LT was the last apple on all my trees. I had more LT’s to sample but the squirrels will have to give you a review on those.

Caney fork was a little soft but had a decent sweet flavor/no tartness

17 Likes

How does Victoria taste? I have one but have not picked it yet. I have grafts of Caney Fork and Black LT, too. From what I read they are all very late apples for my area. I may remove the grafts.

All my apples will be picked this coming Tues as it will go down to 23 F the next day.

Today, some Fuji dropped so I shook the tree, many more fell off.

There are about a dozen or more left on the tree. Lost two to bunnies (I can tell from the way they were gnawed :weary:

8 Likes

I got Orin in a sampler box over a decade ago, and we really liked it, especially for an all sweet apple.

Somehow the graft I have labeled “Orin” is a red apple. Obviously a screw up somewhere.

1 Like

Murky,
Orin is much better than I expected. I often don’t trust greenish apples. It tastes sweet with good crunch and aroma. My later Orin are yellower than green.

I probably will have a small stick for you if you want to graft it.

1 Like

@mamuang, all i have on Victoria is that i tried one that got knocked off the tree on the 8th of Oct and my notes tell me it was not ready…then the little tree bastards helped themselves to the rest. So i will try again next year.

1 Like

I am so sick of squirrels myself. I’ve made sure my bird feeders are filled. They are still trying to get to my Gold Rush.

2 Likes

You must have buckets of fruit!

2 Likes

I hear you! I had to pick mine early because they were gonna eat all of them.

1 Like

Went out a minute ago and saw this. The apple is still on the tree.

9 Likes

My late season Fuji. Texture is not crunchy. Remind me of the texture of supermarket Golden Delicious. Sweet but nothing else.

My daughter likes it. I prefer more complex flavor apples. This variety is also very late. If I could do it over, I would go with early Fuji (if I still want to grow Fuji).

8 Likes

Thank you for the offer mamuang. If it still works out, 14 months from now may be better.

Sure. If you or your family like sweet and aromatic apples, you will like it.

Are you moving?

Love Fuji…it was one of the first apples I planted at my new place in 1991. And I planted another about 3 years ago that hasn’t cropped yet.

2 Likes