Apple variety for apple sauce?

I occasionally use spinosad. I rely on Surround for PC and mating disruption for codling moth and oriental fruit moth. Oh I also occasionally use the codling moth granulosis virus.

Scott

Yes it is and it can go biennial if not pruned right. I have many other Apple trees for pollinating partners.

Thanks again everyone for the interesting suggestions.
Johnthecook - I wondered where are you located, for comparison of ripening times?
The Gravenstein sounds rather interesting. I do have several other apples that could pollinate it (2 other triploids as well, they donā€™t count for pollination, I know)

Ed

Cape cod massachusetts

Scott, do you do consultations? Iā€™ve worked for farmers who rely on chemicals. I helped someone last year who relies heavily on a Neem treatment (which is very expensive). Thanks!

Fuji seems to be prone to water core too.

When I received my 4x1 apple from Raintree there was a 5th bous apple on it called Summer Red. When I looked it up it mentioned that it was a very popular apple for making pink applesauce.

Another vote for Gravenstein, makes great apple sauce and apple juice.

A friend of my Grandmothers (now passed) used to make applesauce from an apple that made pink sauce. It was out of this world. Ever since getting into fruit growing and studying apples specifically Iā€™ve always wondered what that apple was. The lady didnā€™t know either, it was just an old apple tree on their farm. It could have even been a crab for all I know. I hear some crabs make great sauce, in fact, a friend gave me a quart of his to try.
I know there are a lot of apples that make pink sauce, but Iā€™ll look into this one.
I think the pink sauce might come from cooking the skins too?

Summer Redā€¦1964 introduction from BC, Canada. Soft white flesh with a hint of strawberry flavor. Flesh is described as sorbet-like. Doesnā€™t sound like anything Iā€™d like. A Mac type.

Dolgo is supposed to be a fantastic crab for sauce. Its red or pink.

Exactly what Iā€™m thinking. Will probably be a good graft replacement candidate when the tree starts bearing.

Well try to keep some of it. It may surprise us, you never know.