Apricots!

Mine are like a 10th of that size :joy:

One of a few tiny Ilona Apricots off a little potted tree that woke up in my not-cold-enough storage about Christmas time.

12 Likes

This is about as most advanced as apricots can be in my yard. Robada in bloom.

12 Likes

Lucky you!

How did it taste?

Not as nice as they looked. Texture was great. My wife said it tasted like dirt. There was good to the taste too, but it was very mild. The last one we peeled, and it took away the dirt taste and was good.

Probably because of insufficient sun, and being a young tree…

1 Like

Moniqui first bloom 4/5 and Florilege 4/6.

Not yet blooms are Hoyt Montrose and Zard.

2 Likes

First blooms are opening today on Sugar Pearls with Canadian White Blenheim just about a day behind. This is 10 days earlier than last year.

4 Likes

Very early blooms and a low projected of 15 on friday so sad to see my tlor tsiran getting tricked so early but the bees and butterflies were stoked.

10 Likes

It is a shame to lose the crop. This is a variety I have some interest in grafting because raintree is only selling it on peach rootstock, the last I saw. I realized how much crap I had ordered this year, and decided to postpone apricots, pears, persimmons, and apples until next season. I kinda went all in on plums this Spring, and will probably graft some peaches this Summer.
Have you gotten a good crop from it yet? It would be even better if it can pollenize my hybrid plums.

1 Like

Hrmm i got it from them on mariana 2624, In general i am not in a good zone for apricots and after reading about how no one had gotten a crop off it i was just about to turn it into a multi graft pluot / a plum tree. Before i had ideas on adding a asian apricot scion as well as a thundercloud plum to get it pollinate but i feel superior plum definitely pollinates it. It is the first thing in my yard to bloom but usually blooms for a few weeks and overlaps with superior as she is usually just a few days behind it. It produced small fruits although all my stone fruits were very small that year of incredibly delicious tart then sweet and slightly juicy apricots. Not much plum i detected other than it being juicier and it is a very fragrant tree.

3 Likes

I think they had it on Marianna last year, but this year they just had it on peach. It was one of the trees I wanted to buy this year, but our Spring ground is cold/wet silt. I would rather put it on Marianna, Krymsk-1, or an established tree.
I wouldn’t doubt one bit that Superior is a good pollinizer. Almost all of the trials I have read have tried to set fruit with other apricots, and failed.
I have Superior, Shiro, Black Ice, and La Crescent growing right now. I have AU Amber, AU Cherry, Hollywood, Toka, and Nadia grafts that may or may not take. I want to add Tlor, Tomcot, Spring Satin, Spice-Z, AU Rosa, Flavor Grenade, and Emerald Drop next year.
One of those should do the trick. I want late blooming cots that are compatible with my hybrid plums.

3 Likes

I think you will like it and it should do well for you and I feel you definitely have a pollination partner for it, my assumption is its pretty graft compatible as i have seen it on mariana krymsk and peach rootstocks. I was surprised so many people felt it was hard to set fruit and imagined it had some sort of pollen issues or was a triploid(not sure if myro-apricot crosses do that?) but it draws in pollinators very well and definitely produces a good amount of pollen and continually produces nectar as you can see bees hit the same flower another had hit a few hours ago. I find it to be very worthy of a full tree but maybe you should see how the scions do and if it likes your area first?
So far it has fruited 1 out of 4 years it bloomed but every year it has gotten hard frosted including last year when it produced. In general apricots are a 1 out of 7 years for Denver to get fruit. The first two years were just light blooms as it was young but by year 3 it has bloomed strong.

2 Likes

The second Flavor Delight Aprium, grown in small pot under grow lights. Much tastier than the few Ilona Apricots (from the same limiting circumstances) that we had several days ago.

10 Likes

@moose71
Steve, I never caught updates, did your Adirondack Gold set fruit?

no the few blossoms i had got froze out in the late june frosts we had… its such a big tree i expect i may see fruit next spring though.

1 Like

Late June frosts are just rude.

2 Likes

Our only apricot tree is an Adirondack Gold. It has blossoms in the early spring, but has never fruited. I’m thinking of taking Alan’s advice and trying an Alfred, which blooms later. According to Bob Purvis’s list, another late ripening variety is Henderson. Any opinions as to the quality of the tree or the fruit of the Henderson? I have a personal reason to hope it is worth growing.

1 Like

Why dont you try an early blooming plum.