Are these blueberries?

I’m in Morganton NC usa. These are growing on our property and are the only ones we have found… this was a recent pic (early june 2024) trying to figure out if it’s blueberries or some random berry plant lol right now it’s really small, maybe like knee height or a bit shorter and i’m 5’4”

Processing: IMG_7806.jpeg…

4 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

The plant does look like a Vaccinium genus.

2 Likes

I vote yes

1 Like

Welcome! It looks a bit like our Gaylussacia nana {Confederate Huckleberry}. But that is a coastal plain native of the Pinelands. They are normally pretty sweet; but not particularly as flavorful as many Blueberries. If you are in the Highlands of NC you could have other of the true Huckleberries. But there are many Blueberries out there too.

Either way you can enjoy a pie or cheesecake with them.

4 Likes

If they are growing wild then probably huckleberry.

1 Like

I’m with @dannytoro1. Looks more like a Gaylussacia (huckleberry) than Vaccinium to me.
I grew up at the intersection of the Coastal Plain and Piedmont, in east-central AL. We had G.baccata, Vaccinium stamineum (deerberry), V. arboreum (sparkleberry/farkleberry), and some other Vaccinium species here and there, primarily on the wooded (mostly pines & sweetgums) hills on the farm.

1 Like

Maybe if we are talking native. I have buried treasure huckleberry growing here in CO. The only time I got fruit on them was last year and 1 fruit but they grow different places. I think the big bush type only grow down to zone 6 though.

Blueberry can be quite small. They are not a big bush like a hazelnut that is known to grow 15 feet and some blueberry even top out at 1.5 feet tall. Size of blueberry depend on cultivar.