Asian Pear for Cool Summer Climates

I live in WI next to Lake Michigan and our summers are fairly cool like in Western Washington. My grow season is roughly 145 days. I am looking for a russetted, brown Asian variety that develops decent flavor in such a climate. Disease resistance is a definite plus as well.

1 Like

I am in western Washington and just planted Hosui Asian pear, #1 taste test winner in Davewilson web recommending , hopefully it works in your area.

I’d be suspicious that their recommendation is heavily tilted toward CA conditions. Even though their page say Zone 5-9. I’ve had some Housi from Alan’s tree and while my wife liked them, they weren’t very sweet to my tastes (11 brix). I think I also had some Housui from a PYO a number of years ago and while they are OK, they were nothing special.

The best tasting Asian pear I’ve seen in this area is Korean Giant, by a wide margin. Twentieth Century and Yoinashi are also pretty good and worth considering.

1 Like

Sound is every interesting Bob, it’s too bad for me have not enough room for a others 3 more varieties to plant.

No need to plant more- just graft onto what you have. :slightly_smiling: I’ve only got 4 Asian pear trees (3 above and Shinko, which isn’t very good), but I’ve grafted 8 more on (starting last year). The first of the grafts is coming into bearing this year.

1 Like

Thank you Bob , but I am too new to fruit trees and never done grafting job before and if you need some new varieties branches , we have to buy the whole tree from nursery?

Pears (Asian or Euro) are a perfect place to get started with grafting. Some of the stone fruit, like peaches can be tricky even for experienced grafters, but pears usually work pretty well even when you are starting out. Check out the first time grafter thread in the forum. I think I still have some Korean Giant scionwood in the fridge if you want to give it a try.

Thank you Bob, I am learning how to grafting over the web, how long can you keep scionwood in the fridge for using.

Oats,
Bob is in CT, I am in MA. We are neighbors. I share Bob’s view of A pears.
In our area, KG, by far, is the best for taste, size and productivity.

Vincent, I have Hosui, which offers nothing to write home about. It reminds me of Shinko, which I removed. I also have 20th century. It is OK but the biennial tendency could land it on a chopping block.

I also want to point out that we are in the east, not sure any of these A pears will be like in the west. I have seen people saying how much they love Shinko and Hosui.

I’ve seen people in hot sunny areas really like Shinko. So I planted mine up against a tall stone wall (on the SW side). It didn’t help, or rather, it wasn’t enough to make it taste good. It must lose out on some morning sun due to the wall. Maybe a better microclimate would be just off the driveway (full sun and warmer). But, I’ve already taken that spot for jujubes and some stone fruit.

We’re getting near the end of pear grafting season now. Maybe another couple weeks, depending on how quickly your weather gets hot.

1 Like

I’m not sure if Korean Giant can ripen properly with my grow season/average highs (roughly 145 days, 78F in July) mainly due to what Raintree says about it. I’m wondering if Chojuro would be any good without high temperatures but I’m not sure about its disease resistance, it doesn’t seem to be mentioned often.

That’s about the length of good days we have. Our temp is about 70 in June and Sept, July - Aug are in the 80, with some 90 for a few days here and there. Colder in Oct.

My Korean Giant ripens in early Oct to mid Oct. Some years, I picked them as early as late Sept.

We have more sunny days than rainy ones in the summer.

Don’t know about Conjuro. Try to graft it but failed. I grafted Kosui (heard good things about it) and Drippin Honey to my Hosui.

I agree with Bob about Asians and have long recommended Korean Giant over others in my SE NY location. It is challenging getting up adequate sugar here and in A pears sugar is everything (besides texture, you could say the only thing).

I have found that as an espalier against a south wall other varieties can get CA type brix here.

I’ve never thought of eastern WA as a cool summer climate. N. CA gets brutally hot inland.

ya idk about Korean Giant then. too much risk for my climate.

western WA

I’ve had my eye on Shinseiki (New Century) but the description always mentions that it’s a yellow pear, however, some images show that it’s yellow and plenty of others show that it’s brown. to those who actually own one, is Shinseiki actually a russetted, brown pear when ripe and does it taste more like its 20th Century or Chojuro parent?

I had my Chojuro harvested last year, it’s much better than nearby you pick orchard Asian pears, as I picked it at peak ripe time and last September was hot and dry, which may help to get better taste pear. WNY overall has cool summer with few days over 90F. For Korean Giant, the problem is it ripe very late here (late October) and sometime it is not even fully ripe when picked. This year I will have more Chojuro and New Century Asian pear and maybe one or two Korean Giant, will have a better idea of which performs better.

oops

Shinseiki is yellow. Mishirasu is one I think I have heard is good for colder zones. I think I have heard that Chojuro is bland with out enough heat. It along with Hosui are excellent as grown in the Texas Hill Country were it is as hot as a flame in summer.

I have Shinseiki here and it is is a yellow non russeted asian pear. I can only compare it to Chojuro and Housui which I also grow and would put my preference as follows…tops is Shinseiki followed by Housui and lastly Chojuro. I don’t grow 20th century and my Korean Giants, I just planted this year. The brix levels I got last year were extremely high because of lack of rain but the fruits were very small. I don’t remember the brix levels but you can find them on The Garden Register where I logged them and what I am growing.

The Garden Register

Glad to hear that. The grafts of Korean Giant and Yoinashi that I did 4 weeks ago are growing nicely.