Asian pear rootstocks

What are some of the best rootstocks for Asian pears?
I am in zone 4/5, and so p. betulifolia seems not hardy enough, also I’ve heard that European rootstocks lead to a shorter life. I am leaning towards p. ussuriensis.
I would love to hear people’s opinions and experiences.
Thanks

1 Like

I am going to purchase some ohxf 87 for next spring. I plan to graft both European pears and Asian pears onto it. I read that Asian pears do well on it although I do not know how hardy it is. I am in zone six so I think it will be fine here.

2 Likes

Pyrus ussuriensis is said to be hardy to zone 4 as is Pyrus betulifolia according to some nurseries https://www.lawyernursery.com/PDF_static/LawyerNurseryFruitTreesRootstocks.pdf. Many experts think Pyrus ussuriensis is actually hardy closer to zone 3 than 4 https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-91.pdf. I will let someone like @Lucky_P who actually has grown pears on ussuriensis answer your questions on it being a viable rootstock for Asian pears. I agree with Derby that OHXF87 are hardy in fact they are to zone 4 and great rootstocks Pyrus Old Home x Farmingdale 87 | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings. If you want a larger tree OHXF97 is great Pyrus Old Home x Farmingdale 97 | Willamette Nurseries rootstock clonal seedling fruit tree ornamental seedlings

3 Likes

My Asian pear combo tree is on ohxf333 and it’s by far the worst performing tree in my orchard. Absolutely no vigor. I do not think I’ll buy any more on this rootstock. The tree will likely be dead by spring.

Yes, I’ve got some growing on OH x F 97, but I just read in Michael Phillips book that Asian pears don’t live very long on European rootstocks. I know that in China, Asian pears can live for hundreds of years. I assume they are using Ussuriensis, but don’t really know.

1 Like

Chestnut,
I now understand what you are saying when you talk about, the not hardy you are referring to is not the rootstock but rather the influence the rootstock has over the Asian pear. That makes since but I still don’t have an answer to p ussuriensis but this link will better explain what you are asking for the sake of others reading this Asian Pears - Fruit & Nut Research & Information Center . You mean “Asian pear trees like 20th Century are about as winter hardy as Bosc pears tolerating about -20°F but are less hardy than Bartlett and Anjou. Asian pear rootstocks’ tolerances for winter cold are 10°F for P. calleryana, 0 to -10°F for P. betulaefolia and -30°F for P. communis and P. serotina.” The very confusing part about the above listed article says “Most Japanese pear varieties are dwarfed about 50% on P. communis rootstock so California growers and nurseries prefer P. betulaefolia is used to prevent hard-end, a problem in some areas where P. serotina is used as a rootstock for Japanese pears. P. serotina or P. ussuriensis are cold-hardy to -40°F and could be used as an Asian pear rootstock in California but lack winter hardiness for most areas outside of California” How would a rootstock hardy to -40F make the Asian pear lack cold tolerance in places outside of California?

3 Likes

For the people thinking about European pears do not use ussuriensis or serotina because they will get pear decline. See this link http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/documents/treefruit/pnw341e.pdf. Since your thinking of using the rootstocks for Asian Pears read the article very closely. Your still gambling on those not getting pear decline.

3 Likes

Speedster1,
I don’t think 333 is vigorous enough for Asian pears. Highly vigorous rootstocks such as 97 or betulifolia are normally used. I think 333 are very good rootstocks according to everything said about them. Getting 100 of them this year for FB resistant European varieties.

1 Like

I have a very large Cleveland flowering pear tree that I multi grafted lots of Asian and Euro pears on. The Asian and Euro pear crossed with the Cleveland flowering pear. I got lots of seedlings popped up near the big CFP. I used them for rootstocks. They are very cold hardy down to -20F or more. I grafted many Asian and Euro pear varieties on these rootstocks and they grew real fast like 3 to 4 feet of growth in one summer on an 1/2 inch rootstocks.

Tony

5 Likes

I planned a row of Asian Pears on OHxF 333 spaced 6’ apart today. It’s an experimental planting. I’m hoping that Asian pears could be productive in high density planting without need a need for trellis or irrigation.

8 Likes

Still, other sources say:
5) Research on cold tolerance
P. betulaefolia is believed to be the most cold-tolerant
Pyrus species and, according to Liao et al. (1997b), is
able to tolerate temperatures up to −45°C after cold
hardening.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jjshs1/81/1/81_1_1/_pdf

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I’ve avoided P. betulaefolia because everything I’ve read has indicated it isn’t very winter hardy. I usually see it listed to zone 5 or 6

Does anyone has experience using quince?