Asimina (pawpaw) and Annona pollination biology references

Facilitating article.
This is helpful, thanks.

1 Like

It is a Latin binomial.

2 Likes

Norman 1986 - Reproductive Biology of two Florida Pawpaws.pdf (940.6 KB)

1 Like

The convention for any scientific name is to capitalize only the genus, not the species. Usually it’s also italicized (Asimina triloba) but I’m not sure if that’s as much a hard & fast rule as the capitalization.

2 Likes

Geezer
Okay

Goodrich 2009 - The olfactory component of floral display in Asimina and Deeringothamnus

1 Like

Richard, I agree with the article.
In fact one of the things I will be doing with:
Asimina triloba
Is nutritionally up regulating gibberellins.
This will increase self-fertile pollinating from (11% to 13%) to a much higher level.
As well as increase fruit size & quality.
Responsiveness can be selected for will each generation of inbreeding.
Resulting in genetically stable heirloom varietals of superior quality which are self-fertile.
I have done it with a few hundred things so far.
My cantaloupe being the biggest success.
Asimina triloba deserves to be the next success.

1 Like

Just confirming Richard is correct on that one. Standard scientific naming procedure is to capitalize Genus and use lower case for species.

1 Like

If you are able to make a “true to seed” pawpaw, you’ll definitely have takers if it’s a good one!

1 Like

Most likely Asimina triloba Susquehanna is a self pollination of BEF53.
Having both quality & genetic markers diversity.
I plan to both inbred it to an heirloom,
as well as interspecific hybrid it with other Annonaceae starting with Fernandez Custard Apple.
Planning on crossing (Rappahannock x Susquehanna), then doing self pollination inbreeding while upregulating gibberellins.

1 Like

Probably also (Susquehanna x Rappahannock).
Both paths deserve being explored

1 Like

I should probably inbred while upregulating gibberellins all popular pawpaw cultivars.
It took 4 generations with the cantaloupe, aka 2 years.
4 generations with pawpaw is the rest of my life.
I won’t be reaping any rewards other than dying satisfaction of a grand accomplishment.

The pair-group chart you’ve posted is erroneous and consequently your conclusion is mistaken. The mathematics of why it is erroneous are here. A partial table of corrections is here. For a full list you’ll need to wait until this article is published:
Frost, R. 2022 “Diversity of Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) cultivars in USDA repositories and selected retail nurseries c. 2022”.

1 Like

I believe that you already posted & I downloaded something claiming 22 errors in Sheri Crabtree document.

I have not published any paper enumerating errors in publications by KSU researchers.

Gibberellins are general purpose stimulants. There are other auxins more specific to your purpose.

You gave an article name, published date, author.
It was in the research article which was a vetting of the KSU printing of the DNA tests & the chart you claimed wrong.

@ZinHead
I think you are mis-remembering.

Here is another article with Asimina pollination biology that serendipitously came up in a more general search of pawpaw research.

Van Heusden 1992 - Flowers of annonaceae

That it was 21 not 22?

What is the link to his website?