Asparagus have you ever seen these?

These are huge asparagus. My grocer said they are forced asparagus grown in tunnels and are delicious. I will let you know later tonight or tomorrow if that is true. They are huge and many of them look like doubles. Has anyone ever seen this type of asparagus before. They are half white (buried) and half green. What do you think?

4 Likes

Yesterday, I had one that looks very like this one. I think they curve when the hit a barrier

1 Like

Those just look like big spears, not doubles. I often get ones that size from the mature patch. Also, with the forcing and being kept in the dark, they would be the first spears, so even more prone to being xtra large.
They should be good. The French have keeping them white down to a science and they are supposed to be very nice.
(I’m too lazy to be bothered with mine but the one time I tried with some rhubarb, it was much nicer than regular)

3 Likes

Probably very tasty! However, perhaps not as nutritious as the fully colored spears.
(In fact, purple ones, probably have the most nutrition.)
Just a supposition, I’ve not confirmed it.

3 Likes

The bends in asparagus comes from wind blown sand or pest attacks. It is very common. All of my asparagus is white under the soil or compost or woodchips.

3 Likes

What should we fertilize the roots with annually?

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t grow them I just eat them!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We’ve just been going with spreading some compost/composted manure over the patch every second year or so.
I think I remember that compost tea is an option too.

1 Like