Asparagus Says It's Spring

Buy enough for me too!! I’m so envious.

1 Like

Its still in the markets! Wr are lucky when it comes to fruit and veggies. Somehow, all winter long our tomatoes tasted real too! The asparagus also comes totally blanched too!!

This is for you!

4 Likes

Thanks, MrsG. It’s still to early for my green top pop up but a few days in the 70’s will change that!

How far should I have the asparagus beds from the house? Is 18”-24” far enough? My house has a basement. Not sure if there is any concern.

Thanks

bare ground where i planted last fall, would it be better to put weed fabric over ground with opening 4 the plants or put down a pre emergent?

1 Like

Weed fabric can prevent the plants from really expanding to their full potential by blocking spear growth when the crown expands to full size. The spears will lift the fabric making it a sail in the wind. When I had 14 acres of it, 4’ across crowns weren’t unusual. Pre-emerge is applied to asparagus before crown emergence and Prowl binds to the soil fiercely. Leave enough space to cultivate between rows. Leave the ferns till spring to catch snow and mow them before the frost goes out. We would shielded spray roundup on all perennial weeds after harvest and before first frost. My small patch now gets a tiller pass through the middle and the outside edges each year to incorporate triple 20 and any surviving weeds. If you live in an area that benefits from gypsum and Epsom salts, till those down too, Apply the 20-20-20 at 50# of P&K per acre. All male varieties will really limit the worst weed you will find, volunteer asp. I feel this is so important that I would wait a year to plant to get Jersey Giant. Your mouth will thank you!!

5 Likes

i will dig out all fem plants this year and replace next spring with JG if there is room. if these get as large as you suggest they can i might not have room tho. i planted them fairly close together. im planning to manure them mid summer after removing fem plants.

:sunglasses: planted last year. This spear i swear just about doubled in height overnight

5 Likes

is there a source for JG seeds or how are they propagated?

I’ve bought crowns from Nourse Farms before and always been happy. Starting a new patch at my new house and reordered from them. Their berries are also top notch.

4 Likes

Ive had good luck with nourse also…

1 Like

I’ll add another note for Nourse. The raspberries I ordered from them far surpassed my expectations and I wouldn’t hesitate to order from there in the future.

3 Likes

Buy crowns, 2yr old worked best for me. Nourse is excellent!

2 Likes

First sign of asparagus in my patch!

5 Likes

It has been a lousy spring for asparagus at my KS location. Stalks have been froze at least 3 or 4 times already. :persevere:

1 Like

It might get frozen a few times in the spring but I’m still glad when I let it go to fern!!

1 Like

My first asp. pick this evening. One crown produced 12 thumb sized spears with that many I could see. several other crowns will produce 8-10 each in coming days. If you see black, red, and yellow beetles, these are asparagus beetles, more than 2-3 per crown, Sevin will take care of them. Their bites cause severely bent spears. Eggs look like little black 1/8" long needles perpendicular to the spears. Enjoy your spring treat!!

6 Likes

Yayyyyyyy

No kidding!
Hoping your well and well fed!!
Phil