Autumn Beauty 1gal Jujubee's available at OneGreenWorld

covet–thou shalt not, sayeth moses, but that only applies to thy neighbor’s wife/husband/properties.

jujus should be exempt, being thy biblical tree of knowledge :wink:

1 Like

I’ve always been a baaaaad girl so yes, jujus should be exempt. But I don’t want to find a snake in the tree!!

quite certain you’ve never coveted thy neighbor’s wife, so you get brownie points for that :smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:. I need all the points I can get!

don’t we all?

1 Like

I was hoping own roots would solve the problem of dying for me, but tigertooth died last winter after mid -20sF, think that was its third winter, got a ‘so’ this spring on own roots, will see how that does.

‘cold feet’ are an issue for cultivars on own roots. The thorny spinosa-type (wild-type) rootstock are probably the most hardy. Suckers or cuttings may also be compromised by not having strong taproots as seedling-grown rootstock, or possibly by old age, if jujus are not meant to be immortal. Grafting to a juvenile(recently-sown seedling) may be the only solution to an underperforming/sickly self-rooted specimen.

roots are kind of analogous to car engines. Being subject to wear and tear the fastest, and simply having them replaced with something brand new gets the entire systems purring as if it was day one.

1 Like

I agreed wild jujube rootstock is super hardy but -22F to -26F will split the barks of young jujube trees and dried them out and killed the trees. It happened to a few of mine young jujube trees during the polar Vortex.

Tony

1 Like

thicker caliper trees are more immune to hard freezes, since thermal resistance increases with an increase in mass, and if it were not a matter of diseases or old age which compromise self-rooted trees in winter, a self-rooted juju has the advantage of regenerating from its underground trunk and roots, with the same identity even if everything above ground had died back. Hopefully @KlecknerOasis ’ dead tigertooth may still have viable roots that can produce suckers. And would be awesome if those suckers won’t experience hard freezes for several years, just enough to fatten them up to tolerate a deep freeze later…

I was hoping tigertooth would come back, but root system never had anything come back either. I would mulch pretty heavy while young, but I don’t go to extremes to protect. I’ve lost a lot of grafted ones, too, they either turn into the wild rootstock or would completely die, too.

But I still have what I think is a grafted autumn beauty, planted 2007, it had 2-3 feet of dieback, but is over 10’ tall. This year is the first year it has a fruit on it.

I got So this spring from JFaE and it had a long root wrapping around in the pot, so when I planted it in the ground, just cut off that root and planted it in a pot, so at least if so dies out of ground, still have a potted one of it.

2 Likes

I received the two Autumn Beauty trees today. Both are nice, but one is bigger than the other.

On the left- just a shade under 3/4" caliper. Marked 7/7/2015, so I assume it was grafted (or transplanted?) over 3 years ago.

On the right- just over 1/2" caliper and marked 9/15/2016, so it looks to be a year younger, but with a slightly better branch structure.

Both trees are 3.5-4’ tall. It looks like they got them to go mostly dormant before (during?) shipping and we’ve probably got about a month before freezing weather starts, so they should transplant OK.

I’ve got a spot planned for the bigger one in the yard (where a Pitmaston Pineapple apple unexpectedly died) and the smaller one can go in at a rental property that I’m planning to visit tomorrow.

Here’s a pic of them in front of my scionwood fridge.

4 Likes