Autumn Glory Apple

I picked up a new apple at Trader Joe’s - Autumn Glory. It really resembles my unobtainable favorite, Pacific Rose. Any way to discover if the varieties are related?

Well, Pacific Rose appears to be a Gala-Splendour cross., and Autumn Glory is apparently Fuji-Golden Delicious. Splendour, in turn, is also thought to a GD descendant, but that’s not for certain. (Wikipedia). GD does show up in an awful lot of winners.

1 Like

Interesting. If that AG had been labeled PR, I’d totally have believed it.

1 Like

Gala, Fuji and Golden Delicious are good apples but it’s getting boring having so many new apples crossed with them. Too much similarity in taste.

3 Likes

Very true, I was going to post the same thing you just said. Once the GD gets some sort of blight/disease it will affect all these new varieties. That will be a mess to try and fix.

3 Likes

Visiting in Seattle, I bought some Autumn Glory apples, along with Granny Smith and Winesap, at a Fred Meyer supermarket, to put in a pie. Just tasted a fresh Autumn Glory, and I can’t say I am impressed. No hint of cinnamon, as I’ve now seen being advertised. Crisp and juicy, but bland, with an odd aftertaste that I can’t describe but almost tastes artificial.

1 Like

I never tasted cinnamon but didn’t expect to. I wouldn’t have thought it a pie apple - no tartness to it.

Just for balance with the Grannies and Winesap.