Avocado's and oranges in season

Apparently avocado and oranges are in season because they are really pouring into Kansas right now. Avocado are 66 cents each and oranges are 5/ $1.00. Both have been excellent this year. I managed to pick up some small limes 3/$1.00 today though have seen them early this year 12/$1.00. Peppers are plentiful now as well so I picked up a large package of hablano for $1.69. What kind of produce are you purchasing from the store or buying during these winter months? Fresh fruits and vegetables are a must for me in the winter months. By the time spring comes around I’m always ready for fresh fruits and vegetables.

There are cultivars of Avocados that ripen independently from late winter until late fall. Consider that Quito Ecuador is at the equator and thus it is currently summer in south America.

There are cultivars of Oranges that ripen independently from late winter until early summer. Oranges store well in packing houses for 4-6 months. The oranges you are receiving now might be early ripening varieties or from storage of fruits that ripened earlier in south America.

1 Like

Oranges are certainly coming into season here in CA as well. There are roadside stands everywhere.

2 Likes

The ones I’m getting are California oranges. They look and taste like it to. I prefer them because they are easy to peel and have a better flavor than those grown in some other places.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. The Navel Oranges are very tasty and easy to peel as well.

1 Like

If you are peeling your navel oranges, you are doing it wrong. Cut then up like melons :watermelon: and chomp away! :smile:

3 Likes

True. But sometimes I’ll just bring a couple along for a hike, so can’t cut them up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They must be in season in the US because we’re eating US and Egyptian navels in Australia right now but we’re not paying 5/$1 more like $5/kg (2.2 lbs). Quality is quite good this year.

Mick

My oranges (Skagg’s Bonanza Navels) are just about ripe. I had to pick half of them because the tree was falling over, I kid you not. I pretty much ignore this orange tree, and didn’t thin the oranges. Bad orcharding. Then we got ten inches of rain, the soil turned to quicksand, and now the tree is leaning way over. If there hadn’t been a prop supporting one of the main branches, it might have ended up horizontal.

The oranges are decent enough, but we got all this rain, and they taste a bit…watery? Not quite as concentrated, flavor-wise, as last year. And the rinds are pretty thick, not sure why that happens. I love reading about all sorts of pomes and stone fruit, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to research orange growing.

1 Like

I also found lots of big artichokes at a good price this week. They are rare and usualy expensive here. I love them!!! I tried to grow some last year but the seedlings died at transplantation. I’m gonna try again this year. I have to start soon !

1 Like