Azomite

i get mine at TSC but bet ag stores are probably cheaper. cost me $8 for 20#.

That would have even more chitin. Yes, good stuff. I added some about 4 years ago.
This time out of the blue my friend Susan said she was buying some and did I want any?
It was cheap so I couldn’t resist.

1 Like

my buddy on the coast buys and sells seafood. he taken all the clam and cohog shells over the years and spread them down his long driveway. its so alkaline no weeds grow in it. its pretty impressive driving to his place.

2 Likes

I remember the driveways along RI’s southern coast with oyster/clam shell driveways.

I’d not want my own driveway here in Mi to be done that way (and the city would certainly prohibit it) but its cool knowing that it inhibits weed growth…

Scott

why would they prohibit it? no different than laying down white marble or granite. the soil there is so alkaline from many years of crushed shells, there isn’t grass within 6ft. from the edge there. he’s in blueberry country so most plants in downeast maine are adapted to acidic soils.

I live in a suburb of Detroit. A family around the corner put in an asphalt driveway a few years back and the city made him remove it (at his own expense) and replace it with concrete.

I’ve run afoul of their petty rules a number of times. Fortunately I’ve dealt with most of the people in the enforcement division at this point and they know I will scour their laws and find the loopholes.

Scott

1 Like

Usually these are fire based laws in cities as tons of people park on there grass and start fires. They just rule out anything that isnt concrete or tar.

gotta love control freak bureaucrats! weaponized government. I’m glad I’m in the country.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread because Azomite is awesome.

Adding Azomite to my garden was the only thing I did significantly different last year. While I didn’t realize any benefits last year. I think its really showing its effects the year after.

2 Likes

Azomite is marketing B.S. You can get the same results for a lot less cost (and volume) with seasonal applications of Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed extract.

As I’ve stated elsewhere on this forum, the minerals advertised on the azomite packaging are covalently bonded and cannot be processed by plant cells. For that to occur the minerals would need to be ionic bonds (i.e. salts) or chelates.

3 Likes

That would jive with not seeing any effects during the current season it was applied. But at the same time would not the soil microbes release the minerals over time. I have not seen this much improvement since I dug up my blueberry patch and incorporated sulfur and holly tone. Of course that a was mineral microbes and time.

I have honey berries that grew 3" in three years. This year I have 6" in one year. Last years Azomite was the only change to there equation.

I will of course pick up some Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed extract based on your recommendations do you have a suggested brand.

2 Likes

I started using Diatomaceous earth the size of perlite in my mixes as so many studies confirm it’s benefits. Besides allowing soil to be looser, and better flow, increases water retention and also allows for silicon to be released from the DE to directly benefit the plants. I’m sure studies abound on how useful azomite is or is not.

From the study
Optimization of Growing Medium and Preservation Methods for Plant Beneficial Bacteria, and Formulating a Microbial Biopreparation for Raspberry Naturalization
Diatomaceous earth is a sedimentary rock formed from the deposition of Si-rich unicellular life forms (diatoms) that is more easily solubilized than crystalline silica and hence is expected to release more plant available silicon [33]. Diatomaceous earth has been reported to increase the yield of rice [32,35] and guava [8] in India, Vicia faba plants in Egipt [1], and strawberry in Turkey [3]. …

Here is a study of azomite

Growth response of alfalfa to Azomite composite micronutrient fertilizer on four lime-amended Virginia soils

DOI:10.1111/grs.12309

Authors:

Nana Yaw O Kusi at South Carolina State University

Nana Yaw O Kusi

The study stated
Results indicate that, compared to the control, azomite application increased plant heights, forage biomass and growth rates of alfalfa

Although too much made it worse.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349319895_Growth_response_of_alfalfa_to_Azomite_composite_micronutrient_fertilizer_on_four_lime-amended_Virginia_soils

1 Like

The cells in the soil microbes - or in any life form on this planet cannot break down covalently bonded minerals.

Bacteria and fungi that dine on minerals on the surface of covalent stones rely oxidation to release the minerals - process that takes 10’s of 1,000s of years.

1 Like

The chemical assay I paid for 15 years ago revealed that Azomite is doped with auxins - including gibberellins. It is far cheaper to buy a gallon of Ascophyllum nodosum seaweed extract than Azomite. Also, you won’t be putting Aluminum forever chemicals in your plantings - which is what the source of Azomite is trying to get rid of in the first place.

I have posted about this on this site a few years ago, perhaps in this thread. I’m done with it.

1 Like

Yeah but aluminum is the most abundant metal I doubt you can get away from it, no matter what you use. I always stayed away from seaweed as it absorbs lots of toxins. Mostly heavy metals.