Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Scott,
All the potted figs were next to one another on the driveway. I need to pay more attention tomorrow why these two got hit.

BTW, I should try to graft Heath Cling, it sounds interesting. I like that it is sweet. You can’t talk me into growing Indian Free (again) :joy:.
Too acidic for me.

Here is my frost report:

Potatoes - 3/4 of the plants 100% leaves affected , all wilted now. Both in ground and container have some live, most top dead.
Grapes, first year in the ground: out of 4, 2 fried, 2 OK, reason is not clear, why some better then others.
Blueberries - flowers frozen and now tops wilting.
Strawberries - opened flowers blackened in the middle
Japanese dwarf maple - new top growth affected, wilted.
Even Japanese Knot weed that is already 4’ high now( growing along the road where we walk the dogs) has top 1-1.5’ wilted and drying.

3 Likes

Wow! I don’t think we got any damage here. Maybe a few frosted tips on a couple plants, but the damage could easily have been caused by something else. Hopefully you get a good recovery!

Sorry to hear about the damage. Interesting about the knotweed. We had minimal damage at our place - none really that I’ve noticed - but the stands of knotweed down by the river were completely wilted. This is about a quarter mile away and maybe twenty feet difference in elevation.

Not that it will make any difference to the knotweed, of course.

1 Like

surprised your potatoes were that affected. usually one of the most frost hardy vegetables out there. the farmers here started planting 2 weeks ago. our latest frost date is mid June so its guaranteed they will be hit by several frosts after they come up. maybe its the variety you grew that wasnt as hardy? they should still bounce back from the stores under ground. why i plant a whole potato instead of a piece.

1 Like

The damage to my potted figs are on 3 different varieties: Hardy Chicago, MBVS and Violette de Bordeaux. All small damage.

@galinas
If you did not mention strawberries, I would not have checked them. Most are fine but a few have blackened fruit.

No rhyme or reason. Look at the 2nd pic. The flowers are next to each other. One damaged, the other not.

3 Likes

I don’t think I had any damage. Mid 30’s for the low, as far as I could tell. Your figs are way further ahead than mine though. Most of mine are leaves about an inch long and growing back from the ground.

My strawberries on the other hand are further ahead. I still have a few flowers left (they are day neutrals which continue to fruit), but most have formed berries.

My jujube grafts have started to grow. Here’s one from 4/9, after almost 1.5 months:

Hardy kiwi are about to open their flowers:

Largest peaches so far are Rich May. They always get going fast, as they’ll be ripe by late June. I think I had some from the grocery store the other day which were pretty good. I was surprised they would be ready so early- from the sign, they were from South Carolina.

I was looking at a potential rental property today and checking out what trees I’d need to cut down (if we were to buy it which seems a longshot at the moment based on how much interest there was). I was surprised to see that it was a persimmon tree with some small un-opened flowers on it.

It’s a good location for me(about midway between the rentals with Heath Cling and Gloria peaches mentioned earlier in this thread, but there were already 5 offers before the open house started.

6 Likes

I feel like I lucked out with just a little damage. Burnt tips on a few pawpaws, persimmons, figs, and jujubes. Some vegetable damage too, maybe a few dead tomatoes, but really not that bad. Close one!

1 Like

Yes, you and I are fortunate that the damage has been minimal.

@BobVance - my figs were in the basement so they have a head start.
I let a couple of brebas growing to see if they will taste any good.

1 Like

Actually, two days later and I got the first (mostly) ripe one.

Looks like I really need to get my wheel of death setup or the chipmunks will eat them all…

2 Likes

Mine, too. Mine are all June bearers. They got serious gray mold these past two years. Last year was really bad. I lost at least 60% of the fruit.

So, I spray them with. Captan this year. The label tells us to protect ourselves when spraying Captan. It also says we can spray Captan on the day of harvest (and eat), What?!!

Here are my June bearer strawberries.

Just grafted jujubes a week ago so I have not seen any movement.
Jujubes drive me nuts because grafts can grow well the year of grafting. Then, they die a year or even two years later.

6 Likes

ach my strawberries never, ever produce so well. I put in new ones each year, the bed of them grows, and yet I only get a few from each plant, and small ones at that

I have alpine, June everbearing, and just put in quinault this year.

A week is a bit quick for jujube grafts to show, even if it is warm out. They average about 2 weeks for me, at least if grafted in warm weather.

I get a lot of takes with little or no shoot growth. They often just have deciduous leaflets. Those are the grafts that are most likely to not make it through the 1st or 2nd winter. Once it grows several feet, they seem pretty reliable.

I was thinning and starting my second round of spraying today. I’m not sure if I have a better peach set than usual (maybe better pruning last year helped), or if it’s the first time I’ve worked so much at thinning the peaches.

Most of the apricots don’t need any thinning, such as this Ilona, which seems to have about 1 fruit per large branch.

On the other hand, Sugar Pearls from the same site has a bit more… More than half it’s branches were like this, and I thinned off half or more of the fruit.

3 Likes

@resonanteye
I don’t do anything special for strawberries. It could be varieties. I grow Earlyglow, Jewel and Flavorfest, all June bearers. They produce a lot fruit in a few weeks.

I used to grow everbearing like Mara des Bois. It only produced a handful of fruit at a time. I had to protect the fruit against pests for months and months, too much work with little reward.

2 Likes

@BobVance
Now I recalled your post about the type of growth of jujube grafts that will survive. Not sure how I could encourage such growth, though. Does it depend on which limb on the tree I graft scionwood on, major limb vs minor twig?

Except for a Juliet cherry and two Euro plum trees, I have no other stone fruit this year. Your peaches and apricots look so good.

1 Like

First pick of my strawberries, mostly Earlyglow judging from the long necks. Picked minutes before rain arrived.

11 Likes

Tippy, the strawberries look delicious

1 Like

@IL847 Annie,
They are flavorful and tasty. I am pretty sure that having no rain for a week has been very helpful. It rain a bit today and will be no rain again in a week. Great weather to ripen strawberries.

@galinas how are your strawberries? They looked good in those beds.