Bad or ok branch angle on apple

I have had a few apples that for whatever reason I have a hard time getting to grow right. Last year I finally got a branch to go up but now am wondering if my angle is bad. Should I next year cut it off to see if I could get something straight up? It’s my worded one. Opinions?

1 Like

That one crook won’t bother me at all. Above the crook looks promising. Lots of side shoots with good branch angles. So I’d call that perfect.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for replying. Yes I hope to get some branching at two feet. Might try notching next year although this year was only one out of 6 a new branch formed. Maybe I didn’t go deep enough.

I find that a hacksaw blade is the perfect tool for notching. You only need to go down until you cant see the cambium layer and 1/3 of the way around the branch or 1" wide above the bud. The notch callouses over in about a growing season.

@dimitri_7a what time of year? I did this for first time ever, just as I saw new leaves emerge and went past bark but not into wood or cambium. Do I need to go into cambium but not wood?

1 Like