BaseBuds fig

Hello,
Grapevines have base buds.

Pear and apple have 2 base buds and a main bud on every node. The base buds are the buds below b in the picture. My 89 year old dutch espalier trainer for pear and apple call them nevenogen (
adjacent buds)
RDHJE5

Normally base buds will not start to grow because they are very small and weak. With special technique, training and pruning it is possible to wake up the 2 basebuds of apple and pear tree. These base buds are used to get a perfect mirroring horizontal layer on a espalier tree.

Stone fruit like peach also have base buds but mostly the base buds die when the branch get older. This is why its not smart to prune a old peach tree to the old wood.

Do figs have base buds, and if u prune back to the base buds, will give the base bud fruit in the same year?

3 Likes

Roland How do you wake up the base buds on apple and pear?

U have to remove the middle branche to wake up the two Base Buds (Nevenooges).
And if this is not enough u can make a deep notch above the node. And make a lengtesnede (20cm long) directly in the start of the base buds.

1 Like

ps i found that my Ronde de Bordeaux fig have basebuds (nevenoogjes) like Pear and Apple.

3 Likes

i did some single node fig cutting as an experiment a few years back. almost all worked excelent even if they had no visible bud.

Almost all figs if seen have excelent capabilities to just magicaly grow a bud out of virtualy nothing.

On a mature fig you will often see two small bumps at the node, right above the leaf. One is a potential figlet. The other is a latent bud that will pop if necessary.

1 Like